Urdu and Hindi: moderator

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by marrish, Sep 21, 2013.

1. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Dear participants to be,

On some sub-forums they ask for translation of the technical terms the forum has to use. Fortunately not for this forum which is language exceeding. Still I would like to ask you all for a word for a moderator. What I got in my feeble mind is mudiir (for Urdu) but it is merely because of alliteration. We all know what a moderator of a discussion is deemed for, and another, yes, yet another word would be likely to stem from muttadil. Having been so open about my lack of understanding I request the moderators of this forum to have their say first, but I really count on folks that have had the pleasure of being a part of fora in the target languages where some word for a moderator is already in vogue.

Thanks and take it light.
  2. BP. Senior Member

This is what I get of the role of a moderator: not to let the discourse off a tangent, and not to let it degrade to the so many of colloquium's less-desirable tendencies: ad hominims etc.

Using this definition and not simply a translation, I'd hazard munfidh e Huduud. Totally unwieldy I agree, but it should push the others to come up with better ones.
  3. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Just to add to the suggestions, we have the following (literal and non-literal):

مُعتدل mu3tadil = One who moderates (lit.) = اعتدال كرنے والا i3tidaal karne waalaa.
    نِگران nigraan = Caretaker / keeper = ناظر naaZir/ مراقب muraaqib / رقیب raqiib = supervisor / caretaker etc.
    نگہ بان nigah-baan = One who looks after / preserves / protects = پاسبان paas-baan

Perhaps mu3tadil (!) or one of the others like naaZir / muraaqib or even nigraan. Although nigaah-baan seems OK too but paas-baan seems over the top!
  4. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

If I had to vote I'd go for نگہ بان (nigaah-baan), which has such positive connotations.

پاس بان (paas-baan) is indeed overkill, and it even reminds recent history in a way that might not be palatable to all.

I wonder if a word like ثالث (saalis) could work in this context...
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    saalis would be a mediator which is a legal term which we use. Thanks for the replies. paas-baan doesn't have to be taken in the context of history of other countries, it has a meaning on itself which I don't think has been hijacked on the grounds of Urdu. It is a good idea as it comes to spammers! I would lean towards mu3tadil or maybe i3tidaal-kaar, otherwise for naaZir as the rest of proposed term seems to be too spacious and general.

I agree with BP. SaaHib's description both the English and the Urdu one. I hope others can join, especially those who have had the chance of coming across a term used on Urdu or Hindi language fora.
  6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    miyaan-chii (on the pattern of xazaanchii) could work for a moderator, don't you think?
  7. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

IMHO, all the words based on i3tadala / ya3tadilu, i.e. mu3tadil / i3tidaal-kaar and why not i3tidaal-baan while we are at it, don't sound good for that purpose, since this verb means 'moderation' in a slightly higher sense than in English. mu3tadil describes the quality of someone who has a moderate character. This is why I think it is overkill, and I'd rather go for a job description kind of word.

Furthermore, as hinted at by BP Sb., the English word 'moderator' was created to describe the job of someone trying to prevent the excesses of a few against others. I don't think this word is a very good choice in the first place. Hence my reservations for a servile translation.

I therefore think the best word would be a very simple one. Nigraan is somehow the one which might make more sense to me. Now, if we are looking to create a new word, I would rather go along Qureshpor Sb.'s suggestions and look for something with the idea of intermediate person, third person, etc... Or something completely different and a bit outside the box....

I kind of like this suggestion, couldn't simply muHaddid do the job?
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  8. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    I would go for nigraan or adhyaksh in Hindi.

What about chauksi or nazir?
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  9. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    For Urdu in this context, I would vote for muta3adil cum muta3addal. It might be a neologism though but it is so lovely as it signifies the person who makes things "nah ThanDii nah garm" - just like mu3tadil mentioned by Fayalsoof SaaHib while being here with us (as a mod) which more means that the person in function is just a "moderate" as aab-o-hawaa, but mine, I hope I am not wrong with the word making, implies that he or she makes things to be this way, and at the same time implies that the agent possesses these qualities. Let me be corrected by those who know more than me about Arabic word forming and I'm sure there are many.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  10. Abu Talha Senior Member

I'm not sure but I think mu3tadil is one who is only himself moderate and temperate, like muqtaSid. That is, it is intransitive (albeit active).

How about Haakim حاكم? It can mean an arbiter which is pretty close to the intended meaning.
  11. Alfaaz Senior Member

I think Abu Talha SaaHib's suggestion is correct (معتدل would be اعتدال والا).

Would the following usage be possible and considered appropriate (in light of everything that has been discussed)?

معدِّل: moderator, regulator, equalizer, etc.
    • یعنی اعتدال پر لانے والا
    moderated, regulated, equalized, ordered, etc.
    • یعنی اعتدال پر لایا ہوا؛ معتدل کیا گیا
  12. Abu Talha Senior Member

It would certainly tie up with their ability to edit everyone else's posts. :)
  13. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    اردو میں حاکم حکم بردار ہوتا ہے
  14. HZKhan

HZKhan Senior Member

Karachi, Pakistan
    Urdu e Mu'alla
    مذکورہ بالا تجاویز بہت خوب ہیں۔ صرف 'حاکم' میں یہ اشکال ہے کہ اُس میں زور و اِجبار کا عنصر شامل ہے۔
    میں بھی مجوزہ الفاظ کی فہرست میں ایک لفظ کا اضافہ کرنا چاہتا ہوں:
    ناظم یعنی نظامت کرنے والا، نظم و ترتیب دینے والا