Urdu and Punjabi : slap

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Cilquiestsuens, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

Hello :)

I was amazed by the excessive number of words to translate slap...

Could you say the expressions you know, and tell us with what verbs they are used and if they are Urdu or Punjabi...

The basic one is

ThappaR (lagaana) and is Urdu, what about others?
  2. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA

ThappaR maarna (haath khench ke/kar)

chaanTa maarna

chamaaT maarna

Have you ever heard someone say in desi English "give X a tight slap"? I wonder if this usage is L1 influenced...is there an expression that means tight slap in Urdu/Hindi that elicits this usage, or is that the meaning of haath khench ke)?
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  3. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    I agree with lcfatima.
    I've also heard Ehk takaawa, but I'm not 100% sure what it mean!
  4. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I think there is also a word <tamacha> too.

I'm sure there are a score of other words in Panjabi that I don't know with some nuanced slap meaning...
  5. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    There is a word I am trying to think of, it sounds like "raibta" or "raipta" (lagaana/khaana).

In Punjabi,
    "chand" maarna I guess cognates of the Urdu above
  6. BP. Senior Member

The most literary word I am aware of, yeah even a literary form of 'slap' exists in Urdu, is 'tamaaNcha'. Not to be confused with 'tamancha', Urdu for pistol.

'Raipta' rings a bell too Icf sahiba, but I'm not sure of its meaning. Maybe someone can elaborate.
  7. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Right...I always confuse the two. Thanks for the clarification.
  8. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

Hep, chand Maarna is the most common Ive heard in Punjabi Urdu...

Has anyone ever heard lappaR maarna ?
  9. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Reviving this thread to see if there are any more opinions.
  10. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

I just noticed with surprise nobody (including me ;)) mentioned the word:

chapeT (lagaana / maarna)

I am not sure it is Punjabi also, both languages are so much mixed....

On the other hand, I am surprised by Fatima's suggestion; dhappaR.... is it so???
  11. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    No one ever answered: Why in desi English does one say "give X a tight slap"? in English? Is that an expression in Hindi Urdu?
  12. bakshink Senior Member

Chandd, ChapeRR, LappaRR, ThhappaRR, I know are all used in Punjabi. Young boys now a days use one one "Laffa" too.
    Except for "Chandd" all are used in Hindi too. In Hindi there is another word Chanta.
    The verb most commonly used with all of them is "marna". For a tight slap we add "Khich ke" in Punjabi and "Khainch ke" in Hindi.
    "Lagana" also is some time used with them.
    In Punjabi it is "Layiaan".
    Some time an expression like "Onu main khich ke do char layiaan" is used. Here "ChapeRRaan" or "Chanddaan" is omitted but understood.
    "Ik ditti main onu kann de thhalle" or "Ek lagayee maine use kaan ke neeche" also mean the same.
    ICF, the expression "tight slap" is used by Vikram Seth in his novel "A Suitable Boy". It must be existing in standard English. For it's veracity a thread can be started in "English only" section.
    The word for Punching is "Mukka" and "Ghhasun" in Punjabi and "Mukka" and Ghoonsa in Hindi.
    I am curious to know the difference between "Mukka" and "Ghhasun". Beating where all these and more are used is called "Dhunayee".
    This word I think has come from Ginning/Beating cotton called "Ruee Dhun_na" or "Pinjna" to make it fluffy again. In times not far behind, One Guitar like tool with one Gut string was used for doing it. The tool was called Dhunki and the process was called "Dhunayee". The person who did the job was called "Penja".
    There is another expression Dhakka- Mukki used in Punjabi and Hindi which means by force and also means "melee".
  13. akak Senior Member

UK, India- English, Urdu, Hindi
    I think it comes from "kas ke thappar/chaanta marna" -- here kas mean strong, but "kasna" means tighten. So some people say "tight slap"!

Another (coarse) phrase for slap I've heard is, is "kaan pe dena" or "kaan pe rakhna"

That reminds me of the phrase "tasveer kheenchna" - drawing a picture, which many people use for "taking photographs"
    To my amazement, older Guyanese (Indian-descended) in NYC say "draw photographs."
  14. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Yes! Also, lapooTaa لپوٹا

I’ve heard chameT too. But I don’t think this is Urdu proper. However, جھانْپَڑ jhaa.npaR is as is چَپَت chapat (there is also چَپَت گاہ chapat gaah = گدی guddii,سر sar, گال gaal ). Generally it is used to mean a strike on the head with the flat (palm) of the hand!

… also used metaphorically to mean someone has ridiculed / humiliated someone else, e.g.

usne uske (sar par) ek chapat lagaaii

جھانْپَڑ jhaa.npaR = زوردار تھپڑ zoordaar thappaR

سِیلی siilii = چانْٹا chaa.nTaa = تھپڑ thappaR = دَھول dhaul = طمانچہ Tamaa.nchaa

چَپیٹ chapeT = a strike, hit
  15. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Never heard "tight slap" before, but I am quite familiar with <kas ke> here. Won't say why :)

<dabā ke> might also be used, but this, to me, is more than a slap. Any thoughts?
  16. akak Senior Member

UK, India- English, Urdu, Hindi
    <dabā ke> connotes didn't hold back, i.e. let loose, or hit very hard.
    "Usne dabā ke chaanta mara"
  17. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

In Punjabi they use Takaa ke with the same meaning..

And I remember hearing from (Punjabi speakers) of Hindi in India : khe.Nch ke instead of dabaa ke (this dabaa ke sounds Pakistani to me?????)
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  18. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    تکا کے or ٹکا کے?
  19. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Hmmm, <khe.nch> doesn't sound like a very Indian Punjabi pronunciation. How does <dabā ke> sound more Pakistani than Indian?
  20. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

I think that dabaa ke is an expression that comes from driving.... I remember that in India I've heard all the time khe.Nch ke chalaao and not dabaa ke, that's all.... Now it's possible they use dabaa ke there too.... It was just my limited observation.

By the way, I don't know how to spell Takaa ke in Punjabi, just know the intial is retroflex, but could be Dhakaa ke also... ??????
  21. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I think I follow you now. But aren't they different? I will look into the <dhakā ke> bit. I think that might be it, but I'll confirm with some friends and dictionaries :)

My mother says <khī.nchnā> every time she wants to finish something quickly, wrap it up. For example, right now, I'm trying to write some papers for school, <aur isse khii.nch ke sidhe ghar jāū.n gā>. Is that the sense that you mean?
  22. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

Exactly and to my knowledge we'd rather use dabaa ke in Urdu.... I mean in PK
  23. Koozagar Senior Member

In Pakistani coloquilism, I believe there are differences in the usage of the two ( daba ke and khinch ke). I have not heard dhaka ke unless it is the same as taka ke or tika ke.
    examples of daba ke:
    daba ke khana khaya
    gari dabayi aur panch minute mein wahan pohanch gaye
    daba ke pitai ki or daba ke mara( or in Punjabi, daba ke kuteya)
    daba ke parhai ki

Example of Khinch ke:
    Khinch ke lappar mara
    Aik di usay khinch ke

but to theorize the difference of usage, it appears to me that daba ke is used when intensity or extremety of engaging in an action is sustained over a certain period of time and the action is a protracted process. Such as getting somewhere, or studying for a certain number of hours.

Khinch ke it seems is used with a single action carried out with a heighthend force or intensity. The action in this case is a one-off move. Such as khinch ke thappar marna.
  24. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

I agree with you, I think this is a very apt description of the difference between khinch ke and dabaa ke the way it is used in PK
  25. Todd The Bod Senior Member

Ngo hai ni doh
    How 'bout "Thappar khana"? Sounds more like you're eating some delicious Indian dish than getting slapped, right?
  26. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Here the infinitive khaanaa is used the same way as in zaxm khaanaa (= to be wounded), shikast khaanaa (= to be defeated) indicating the passive rather than an active verb.

[We had a thread that discussed this use of khaanaa in Hindi-Urdu and its origins in Persian xurdan / xordan (to eat), here.]
  27. Birdcall Senior Member

English - American
    khaanaa sometimes just functions as a verb for an act of receiving something, like dhuup khaanaa (sunbathing), dhokhaa khaanaa (being tricked/betrayed), gaflaa khaanaa (being scammed), rishwat khaanaa (to accept a bribe), etc. Basically the opposite of maarnaa in colloquial usage (golii khaanaa vs golii maarnaa).

But I've heard the term (kisii kaa) bhejaa/dimaag/sir/sar khaanaa, which I think means to harass someone or tease someone.
  28. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Sure, khaanaa is used that way. I was precisely illustrating this - its grammatical function here:

ThappaR khaanaa = to “receive” a slap, i.e. to be slapped - passive

Thappar maarnaa = to “give” a slap, i.e. to slap - active