Urdu: Blade

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Abjadiwala, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Abjadiwala New Member

English
    With all the use of swords in Mughal history, I can't believe that I couldn't find any common easily understandable native word for BLADE in any Urdu Dictionary!

Sure there is "استرہ" but that means "Shaving Razor."

The English loanword "بلیڈ" is a bit too embarrassing to say as the monosyllabic "Blade" is turned into the disyllabic "Ba-layd" in Urdu.

Also I don't think the Arabic شفرة nor the Persian تیغه are intelligible to Urdu speakers so borrowing isn't going to work either.

Please help.

2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Hi,

Blade in Urdu is پھل phal in the context of a sword or a knife.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    How about dhaar (دھار) as in talwaar kii dhaar, or do-dhaarii talwaar?

4. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    Blade can mean two things. A knife or sword, or the cutting part of a knife or a sword. If the sword is meant, teGh *is* quite commonly understood in Urdu as well as Punjabi. Talwaar and shamshiir are two other common terms. If you mean a cutting edge 'dhaar' is prevalent as had also been pointed out.

5. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I think that dhaar means edge rather than blade. A dvii-dhaarii talwaar means a double-edged sword, for example.

6. Abjadiwala New Member

English
    I think that's a bit way too obsolete. Saying پھل in today's context would make people think about "Fruit" rather than "Blade" making it also another very amusing word along with بلیڈ (politely: ba-LAID)

Agreed, because the other forms of it includes:
    دھاردار which means "sharp" or "edged"

تیغ properly means "sword" not "blade." And Urdu speakers consider تیغه to mean "Little sword" and not blade.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm using the "Ferozsons Limited Urdu English Dictionary" Revised Edition which covers both Archaic and Modern Words. It's a local Pakistani dictionary but it lists a word written as پھلا to be "blade." Is this real or a possible error?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Online Urdu Dictionary of the online Urdu Encyclopedia gives some info about بلیڈ but it gives استرہ (razor) as its sole synonym.

But it also lists The Persian word "دَم خَم" to also mean Blade.

Well, what do you think about it?

Also
    باڑھ is its exact synonym but it also means "Edge of a weapon or tool" not exactly blade.

7. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    ^ phal for blade/edge (as marrish saahab mentioned) is not so obsolete. I have heard it in the context of knife (chaaquu kaa phal), although not sword.

8. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    We need to distinguish between the word "blade" and its "cutting edge". I believe this has been clarified by other friends in the sense that a "blade" is "phal" and "the cutting edge" is "dhaar". Also, as has been pointed out already "phal" is by no means "obsolete". It is true that "phal" also means fruit but context will always distinguish one from the other.

Here is an example from an Urdu dictionary, where the word "chaaquu" is being defined.

پھلسبزیترکاری اور دوسری چیزیں کاٹنے کے کام آنے والا آلہ (جس میں لوہے کا دھار دار پھل اور دستہ لگا ہوتا ہے اسے کھولا اور بند کیا جاسکتا ہے)قلم تراش، چھری۔

"phal, sabzii-tarkaarii aur duusrii chiizeN kaatne ke kaam aane vaalaa aalah (jis meN lohe kaa dhaar-daar phal aur dastah lagaa hotaa hai; ise kholaa aur band kiyaa jaa saktaa hai) qalam-taraash, chhurii.

An instrument for cutting fruit, vegetables and other things (which has metal blade with an edge and there is a handle attached to it; it can be opened and closed) pen-trimmer, knife.

As for "teGhah", it does indeed mean a "blade" (phal)

تیغه (teegheh) Noun 1. A blade. Ex. تیغه این چاقو تیز است || 2 . A partition-wall. 3. A lamella; bot., a lamina. 4. Ridge of a mountain.

As you have asked for the word in "Native Urdu", here is a couplet from a well known Urdu poet.

hamaare ba3d ho gaa zaxm khaane kaa mazah kis ko
    bike gaa kauRiyoN ke mol, qaatil, phal kaTaarii kaa

Asir (Muzaffar Ali Khan)

Who will go on enjoying the pleasure of the wounds after I am gone?
    O cruel beloved! Your dagger’s blade will go for a penny, not a crown!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  9. Qureshpor Senior Member

Also one has hal kaa phal.

10. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    Yes, but the point I was making was that the English word 'blade' itself sometimes means 'sword' in its entirety, rather than the just the actual cutting surface of the sword. I think for the cutting surface 'phal' is the most accurate word. I suspect it feels odd to you because we ourselves have switched to using the English 'blade' for that. Idiomatic usage in our languages tends to center on the 'dhaar' / edge rather than the blade, which has further allowed 'phal' to slip into less frequent usage. 'Talwar ki dhaar' is the idiomatic equivalent of 'blade of the sword'. Oddly, the equivalent of 'on knife's edge' is 'chaaquu ki nok par' (at knifepoint)!

11. Qureshpor Senior Member

Here is a couplet by Ghalib where "dam" is used for a blade.

jazbah-i-be-ixtiyaar-i-shauq dekhaa chaahiye
    siinah-i-shamshiir se baahar hai dam shamshiir kaa