Urdu: creepy

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by teaboy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    What is a good slang word for "creepy". Not just ajiib, but with that horror movie je ne sais quoi...

2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Can you elaborate on the meaning you want, please? In the meanwhile, ڈراؤنا can work.

3. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    That feeling you get when you are around the campfire and someone is telling ghost stories and then you hear a twig crack in the woods in the dark and some animal screeches and you remember that an axe murderer was just reported to have escaped from the local madhouse...need I elaborate further?

4. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    No, no! It´s more than enough! The word I gave would be good, but perhaps could you give a sentence to translate?

5. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    ڈراؤنا ? That looks like a verb. It's a very simple sentence: It was very creepy!

6. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, it looks so but it isn't :)! یہ بہت ڈراؤنا تھا yih bahut Daraa'unaa thaa.

7. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    Ah! Something which scares!

8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, you're right. ڈراؤنا سناٹا، ڈراؤنی فلم Daraa'unaa sannaaTaa, Daraa'unii film, etc. I hope it fits the meaning of 'creepy'.

9. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ham logoN ne ulaa'o jalaayaa hu'aa thaa. paas hii jaNgal se kabhi vaHshii jaanvaroN kii Daraa'onii chiixoN kii aavaaz aa jaatii thii. jab kisii suukhii lakRii par kisii kaa pair paRtaa to us kii "taRaak" se dil baiTh jaathaa thaa. kal hii kii xabar hai kih shahr ke paagal-xaane se ek "kulhaaRaa-qaatil" bhaag niklaa hai aur paas vaale jaNgal meN jaa chhupaa hai. bahut bhayaanak samaaN thaa!

10. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    bahut bhayaanak samaaN thaa! -- dreadful baggage!!I like that!

11. Qureshpor Senior Member

"samaaN", not "saamaan/N". samaaN = atmosphere (maaHaul).

12. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    I like dreadful baggage better...;) Oh, well. I don't get to make up the language as I go, do I?

13. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    bhayaanak saamaan, why not? A bag left at the airport... bhayaanak is a very good word by the way, QP SaaHib.

14. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Is there a word that would mean عجیب طرح سے خوفناک/بھیانک/ڈراؤنا/مخوف? Doesn't that seem to be the feeling conveyed by creepy in the examples provided by teaboy jii (rather than just frightening, horrifying, scary)?

15. Qureshpor Senior Member

[jii meN is khaTke se] ek "phurahrii" sii reNg jaatii thii!

[jii meN is khaTke se] badan ek phurahrii sii letaa thaa!

(phurahrī [S. स्फुर+कर+इका], s.f. Tremor, shiver, shudder of horror causing the hair to stand erect, horripilation (cf. phurphurī):—phurahrī lenā, v.n. To shiver, to shudder; to stand erect, to bristle up through fear (as the pile of a cat, or the feathers of a bird, &c.).

16. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    That's the true meaning of the English creepy, and the sense which needs to be conveyed here. But is it commonly used?

These days, in English, people will use creepy interchangeably with freaky.

17. Qureshpor Senior Member

I don't think it is a word that would be used commonly. Seems like a very good word to have at one's disposal.

18. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    another one .. vehshat naak وحشت ناک