Urdu: Good luck

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by panjabigator, Feb 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    How do you say "good luck" in Urdu?

2. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    We had a thread about this before, if you remember. We didn't reach a conclusion. Now I think I have an idea. It's:

توفيق سے!
    (taufiiq se!)

which is taken from the Arabic بالتوفيق! (bit-tawfiiq!).
    I am not 100% sure about this, probably about 85. I will try and found out though.

3. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I was just reading Premchand's Shatranj kii baazii (Hindi: shatranj ke khilaaD.ii) and there was a line where the phrase <pau barah> was used. The glossary defined it as "good luck," but I wonder if this is just a reading associated with chess. What would be said in Urdu?

In Hindi, the equivalent is <shubh kaamnae>.

4. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Oh dear! I know nothing about chess! I think here the Urdu eqiuvalent would depend on the occasion. If you are talking about someone being lucky then you'd use terms like: 'خوش بخت / خوش بختى' or ' خوش قسمت / خوش قسمتى'. But if you want to wish 'good luck' (Eng) = veel succes (Dutch) for what they are about to do, then it'll be more like: كامیاب ہو / بركت پاو etc.. It really will depend on the occasion.

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    janaab-i-Platts ke mutaabiq..

H پو पौ pau, s.f. The one or ace on dice:—pau-bārah, s.f. The ace and the twelve in dice; (fig.) good luck, good fortune, success;—pau-bārah paṛnā (-ko), To have a stroke of fortune, to come off well or successful:—pau-ćakkā, s.m. Gambling with dice.

Based on the "mubaarak-baad" [May your "Eid, Birthday etc" be blessed!] pattern, we can use "Khush-baKht baad" [May (you) be lucky!]

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

How about, "anjaam ba-Khair!"?

7. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do people say this, though?

I would probably say "khuda kare aap apne kaam mein kaamyab rahe.n," or something like that.

8. Qureshpor Senior Member

"anjaam ba-Khair honaa" actually means "to have a good ending". When you wish someone "good luck", that is exactly what you are wishing them, is n't it? By the time you have said your verbose suggestion, he/she will have returned from the task you are wishing them good luck for!:)

9. suhussain New Member

Urdu
    Khush Kismati Aap Kai Qadam Choomey.

10. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^ This is certainly very nice! but I'd say it with a ''qaaf'' ق in Urdu, Khush qismatii خوش قسمتی. A remark just for the ones who'd be learning Urdu.

11. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I think it is a very good suggestion, especially if we make it a bit longer to ''allaah aap ko taufiiq de/farmaa'e''.
    F. SaaHib's suggestions are also very good because they are short and refer to the Dutch phrase I'm interested in.

pau-baarah (Punjabi: pauN-baaraaN) is also perfect but it can't help us with a wish phrase.

12. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Marrish Sahib, could you provide some Urdu and Punjabi examples for "pau(N)-barra(n)?"

13. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    No, I can't at the moment, I'll wait six months before I do it!

14. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    One only comes across the word taufiiq in that very context does it literally mean divine guidance or ability? Judging by that taufiiq se from a literal perspective sounds odd unless one takes a long linguistic meandering and arrives at something sembling may destiny created by the lord be with you. In other words taufiiq se being a near equivalent to Inshallah. On the other hand, from a punjabi perspective, kismat thwade/thade saat hoon in urdu aapke would be a good alternative especially since its appreciative of local nuances.

15. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^ qismat/kismat tu_ááDaa saath dave OR qismat tutu_ááDe naal hove for Punjabi however the latter is a bit strange if we use this word (qismat=destiny) departing from the idea that it never leaves you.

This is the description of the word taufiiq - as you can see it can mean both, according to the context but the primary meaning is stated first:

A توفيق taufīq [inf. n. ii of وفق 'to find convenient and useful'], s.f. Making events to conspire happily (Divine Providence); divine guidance, grace, or favour; the completion of one's wishes; prosperity;—ability, power, means, resources.

16. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi