Urdu: High Register Words for God...

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Todd The Bod, May 30, 2012.

1. Todd The Bod Senior Member

Ngo hai ni doh
    English-Midwest
    By the way, what are some of these other high register words for God you mention, QP and Urdu Medium?

2. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    allah - One God
    rab (rabb) - lord
    ilaahi - my diety
    xudaa - God
    xudaavand - God
    parvardigaar - lord
    paalanhaar - lord
    maalik - the owner
    ma3buud - the one who is worshipped

3. Todd The Bod Senior Member

Ngo hai ni doh
    English-Midwest
    Thank you kindly, sir.

4. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    Other suggestions:

Ar-Rehman (ar Rahiim)
    = The Merciful
    Al-Khaaliq = The Creator

(Although we can technically quote all of the 99 names of God, some are must more commonly used than others)

You'll also hear a lot religious-minded people using short Arabic sentences with the Name of God, such as:

Allahu subHaanahu wa ta'aalaa

Allah(u) 'azza wa jall

etc.

5. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Great translation, except I believe this one. I'd translate this as the one who brings you up.

In Arabic, it would be murabbi (apparently not too related to rabb because of slight radical difference i.e. r b y vs r b w for rabb).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Todd, there are 99 names of God in Arabic! Just Google search and you'll have them.

BTW, we did xudaa and xudaawand here!

7. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    Thanks. Sounds good to me.

8. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    You're very welcome UM.

9. Todd The Bod Senior Member

Ngo hai ni doh
    English-Midwest
    So then really in Urdu, any of the 99 Arabic names would work. Makes sense, but I always got the idea the Farsi words are more high register than the Arabic, which is what sparked my question. Thanks everyone.

10. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    In fact there are more than 99 attributive names, around 150 being mentioned in the Qur'aan alone. The 99 figure is there for several reasons, in particular a Hadiith. And there are far fewer names that are exclusive of the creation (e.g. RaHmaan is exclusive and cannot be in principle be used for a human, while raHiim can be).

I enquired an Arab and she said in their culture the two names they use is allaah and rabbii (my lord).

As a 'native' (according to several definitions proposed by our dear QP) I have no such impression. If anything, Farsi words lack that element of foreignness that would mark a cultivated lexicon that presupposes the borrowing of exotic words or phrases from other languages.

11. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    And according to those definitions, sadly, I am not a "native" of any of the languages I am acquainted with!!:eek: