1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu-Hindi: کھ /कि

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Qureshpor, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    We know that Urdu کھ is identical with the Persian کھ and means "that" as in "maiN ne kahaa kih vuh biimaar hai". This کھ kih has become "ki" in Hindi and is written as कि. Is there an Indic word for کھ/कि in Hindi?

2. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I didn't know that "ki" comes from Persian, but it's the Indo-European structure in fact that has the "kii" thing. French has "que" (pronounced like "ka"), Italian has "che" (prononced like "kay"), and so on. Hindi is an Indo-European language, so I'm not sure what are you asking here, because Urdu also is an Indic language (and an Indo-European one, automatically).

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    In case there is an Indic ''ki'', Prakrit would have had some word which would eventually evolve to 'kih'. There was a word which in Punjabi is 'kii'' or ''ké'' and in Urdu and Hindi 'kyaa' but they mean ''what?''. Platts gives the etymology of kih as Persian. In the light of what greatbear has said I think it would be safer to say that it is a Perso-European construction.

4. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    In that case, you should refer to the entries for "kva" and "k" in Macdonell's Sanskrit dictionary: "what, which" are not meanings far off from "that" (in fact, many languages like French have the same word for "that" and "what"). I do not know what Prakrit has, but Sanskrit has this "k", just as most Indo-European languages: not Perso-European!

5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^Also possible, I agree.

6. Phosphorus Senior Member

Kurdish
    "Kih" is a New Persian (post-Islamic) loan, however the Persian proper itself has borrowed "keh" from Arabic "که". The Arabic word resembles its Indo-European counterparts indeed. The original Persian word is attested in Middle Persian as, if I am not mistaken, "ku"-which would give a New Persian form of "ko". Also compare with Kurdish "ku" and Semnani "ku?" in the same sense.

7. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    That's interesting! What was the Arabic word from which kih is derived?

8. Phosphorus Senior Member

Kurdish
    Unfortunately no idea.