Urdu-Hindi: aam aadmii party

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Qureshpor, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I believe a new political party has recently been formed in India. It is called aam aad(a)mii party (AAP) "आम आदमी पार्टी" (3aam aadamii paarTii عام آدمی پارٹی ). We know that this is not a "Mango Man Party" but a "Common Man party"! If the author/s of the party name were to employ a Sanskrit based title (shuddh Hindi), what would this title be? Would this party name be less complicated and more easily comprehensible for an "aam aadmii"? If not, is there any reason why a "shuddh Hindi" title has not been chosen?

2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I remember greatbear having said something about mango people so my feeling is he might answer this query in an adequate way; in the meanwhile let me say that the word paarTii has been chosen and not, let's say, dal.

My suggestion for shuddh Hindi: saadhaaraNR maanav dal.

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Since you have provided the Urdu language in your post, let me take this occasion to express my words of approval for the (a) which you have provided in the transliteration part. Let me assure the enthousiasts of this forum (please, do come in greater numbers!) that it is very valid Urdu pronunciation and that there are millions of Urdu speakers that maintain the middle consonant in daily speech. This is actually not directed towards the poster, QP SaaHib, but the lucky ones that have access to this forum.

4. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I don't know how much you follow Indian politics, QP, but the naming of the new party by anti-corruption activist Kejriwal is in fact due to an elitist remark from the establishment, calling common people as "mango people" (in English) - hence, in the context of Indian politics, the translation "Mango Man Party" or "Mango People Party" (rather than "Common Man Party") would be much more appropriate!

That puts an end to your query, I presume? Since "aam" can mean both "common" and "mango", which a Shuddh Hindi word wouldn't have done. And here, the intention behind the name is "mango" - because now "mango people" also means "common people".

5. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I can only confirm what Marrish has provided for a Hindi "equivalent."

Curious, where does "mango people" come from here? I always attributed this word play (and its subsequent usage in Indian newspapers) to Salman Rushdie, but I don't want to give him undue credit.

6. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I don't know of Rushdie, panjabigator, but the full political context is summarized in brief as follows: Vadra, son-in-law of Sonia Gandhi, used "mango people" as a pejorative term for common Indian people (in a tweet, I think; yes, the wordplay being that "aam" means mango as well as common): and since then the "aam aadmi" of India is very happy and proud of being an aam aadmi, in other words a mango man.

The new party is an antagonist of Congress, hence the party name directly derives from this word-play. A Shuddh equivalent in the pejorative context would be "tuchchh manushy dal/sangh" - but the word-play, which is essential here, would then be lost.

7. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Thanks, Greatbear. I believe Rushdie used the term "mango people" in his Midnight's Children (or maybe it was in Shame, I disremember which), so this would have been pre-Vadra's tweet.

Cheers,
    PG

8. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Thank you for everyone's contributions. Would the "shuddh" Hindi words be easily understood by the (3)aam aadamii?

9. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Very easily; both mine and marrish's Shuddh Hindi words are common currency.