Urdu, Hindi: chuuRiyaaN چوڑیاں चूड़ियाँ

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by marrish, Jan 27, 2013.

1. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I´m having a problem how to translate this word into English. What is meant by the word chuuRiyaaN of which the translation is required, is the spiral-like carving around a screw... I can't remember how it is called in English so it's going to be a short thread!

Thank you.

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thread : is a helical structure used to convert between rotational and linear movement or force. A screw thread is a ridge wrapped around a cylinder or cone in the form of a helix, with the former being called a straight thread and the latter called a tapered thread.

3. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, it's exactly what I need! Thank you so much.

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Well, as soon as I read the title of your post, I thought of "bangles"...So, you should have kept it singular!:) One can say "chuuRii kii misaal" as an adjective to imply "nihaayat naazuk". As a plural, one can also take the meaning "bhaNganeN"! And if your nose is blocked and you are saying "chuuRiyaa", it would mean a type of striped cloth!

After having read the whole of your post, I thought of "chuuRii-daar paa-jaamah"! So, this need not be a short thread (no pun intended)!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^I agree and by saying ''a short thread'' my intention has been just the opposite! BTW, you meant to type 'nihaayat' I believe. So, let's continue!