Urdu, Hindi: curiosity

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by marrish, Apr 9, 2013.

1. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Hi,

The space rover ''Curiosity'' has been examining Mars' ground. I don't have any good equivalent to this name or a general noun in Urdu, let alone Hindi. In my conversation with an Urdu speaking friend I've been using kunj-kaavii but it is a Persian word and incidentally my friend speaks Persian as well.

How can we name it in Urdu and Hindi?

Thank you.

2. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    I would go for "jigyaasaa" and "kautuuhal".

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Wow! jigyaasaa/jijn'aasaa I know but I didn't think about it! katuuhal on the contrary is unknown to me. Thank you. Do you know if the name of this testing vehicle was ever translated into Hindi?

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Space-Rover, "Curiosity".

xalaa-navard, "tajassus"

5. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    I doubt it very much. They would just call it curiosity in Hindi too as it is a name.

6. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    "kautuuhal"/"kauthuul" is the first word that came to my mind with "curiosity": what is the usual Urdu word btw for "curiosity"? I have never used words apart from "utsuktaa", "kauthuul" and "jigyaasaa" for curiosity, and I don't think any of the three are used in Urdu.

7. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    As QP SaaHib has posted above, تجسس tajassus is the usual Urdu word for curiosity, from the root of which we also have جاسوس jasuus and متجسس mutajassis.

8. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Thanks, Alfaaz! In Hindi, "jasuus" does exist (for a detective); what does "jasuus" mean in Urdu? Again a detective or just any curious person? What's a curious person in Urdu called, if not "jasuus"?

9. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Jaasuus is a spy, emissary and mutajassis would generally describe a curious person, although it can also be used for a jaasuus! Just asking out of curiosity :), what would be the Hindi/Sanskrit equivalents? There seems to be khoji (which is also used in Urdu)...what other words are there for spy and curious person?

Coming back to the topic of the thread, QP SaaHib's suggestion sounds good for Urdu!

10. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    ^ "khoji" does exist in Hindi too, for someone of too much prying a nature, I'd say, Alfaaz. Thanks for the replies. In Hindi, someone who's curious is generally described to be "utsuk" (usually positive) and "jigyaasaapoorNR" (also positive). A good jasoos is of course all these: always in the mode of jaaNch-paRtaal.

11. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    A side note about, yes, yes, transliteration! The Urdu word in post 7 is transliterated jasuus and it seems this transliteration has been followed in posts 8 and 10. The correct transliteration can be seen in post 9.