Urdu/Hindi: faatihaanaa

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by lafz_puchnevala, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    Hi,

The context is as such... 've apni buudhii chadiyon ko zameen par maarte aur ek faatihaanaa sii aawaaz paidaa karte hue.' It looks like the striking/hitting sound is being described. Can anyone share the meaning of the word as used here?

Thanks!

2. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    More context would be good, eg a complete sentence. However, I'd guess that over here this almost certainly means a "dying sound/moan". I guess it is possible that the sound from the aged sticks is being described (ie they sound like they're about to break = die), in which case this may even be a humorous metaphor. Or it could be actual sounds they're making from their mouths (not so funny).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. JaiHind Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi
    It is difficult to guess correctly but this word seems to be colloquial or derived from some regional/rural language... It is difficult to have come across this exact word somewhere.

4. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    As far as I know it is a simple derivative of Faatihaa, i.e. has an Arabic root. It's not the most common word to see but I have heard it enough times that it's not that rare either. I would think of it as somewhat ornate and non-colloquial (others mileage might vary).

I wonder what QP Sahab wrote. Maybe I have misunderstood this word?

5. lafz_puchnevala Senior Member

Tamil
    Could it be Punjabi? Just a random guess though..

6. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    He probably wrote the same thing that he (and everyone else) has been saying from the beginning: LP has taken "pure Urdu" words and labeled the threads as "Hindi/Urdu" and still continues to do so.
    Yes فاتحانہ could be used in Punjabi (especially Western) and فاتحانہ is also regularly used in Urdu, derived from Arabic as hindiurdu has said above.

7. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Hi there,

It is not an Arabic, nor a Hindi word but a word that belongs to the Persian and Urdu languages. The word is a literary Urdu word, not regional or obscure in any other way.

The mere fact the word is an enigma for Hindi speakers is a sure sign that it is not a Hindi word, whatever the title of the thread might be. I've checked in my personal Hindi dictionary, and there is no such word there.

The sentence for the context is taken out of a short story by a renowned Urdu writer Rajinder Singh Bedi; I think it is unjust not to mention the author. The meaning is ''triumphantly/victoriously''.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  8. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Whatever language title one gives to the thread, LP Jii, the real context of this sentence is a very famous Urdu short story entitled "Laajvantii" by Rajinder Singh Bedi, who is considered to be one of the foremost Urdu short story writers.

(Here is a link to it http://www.humshehri.com/DetailStory.aspx?ID=4612 )

The (partial) sentence in question is highlighted. Urdu readers will realise that it is slightly different from the partial sentence provided in that there is no "ve" in the Urdu sentence but it does have the additional "paT paT" in front of "zamiin". Here is the full context.

اور پھر ایسی بہت سی آوازیں آئیں: ”خاموش! خاموش!“ اور نارائن باوا کی مہینوں کی کتھا اکارت چلی گئی۔ بہت سے لوگ جلوس میں شامل ہو گئے جس کے آگے آگے وکیل کالکا پرشاد اور حکم سنگھ محرر چوکی کلاں جا رہے تھے۔ اپنی بوڑھی چھڑیوں کو پٹ پٹ زمین پر مارتے اور ایک فاتحانہ سی آواز پیدا کرتے ہوئے.... اور ان کے درمیان کہیں سندر لال جا رہا تھا! اس کی آنکھوں سے ابھی تک آنسو بہہ رہے تھے۔ آج اس کے دل کو بڑی ٹھیس لگی تھی اور لوگ بڑے جوش کے ساتھ ایک دوسرے سے مل کر گا رہے تھے:
    ہتھ لایاں کملان نی لاجونتی دے بوٹے"۔

.....were going along), tapping their old (walking) sticks on the ground and creating a triumphant sort of sound...

I have searched the word फातिहाना (with a subscript dot) and did n't find a single result. I then tried फातिहाना and found one solitary result, in the form of an Urdu shi3r. This could possibly explain some of the Hindi speakers' unease about the word. Actually the word is فاتحانہ , here used adjectively not adverbially.

faatiH means "victorious" or "triumphant" in Urdu and faatiHaanah means "triumphantly".

So, it appears that for "faatiHaanah", the "Hindi" in the title is simply redundent.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  9. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    As has been thoroughly explained above, faatiHaanah (= triumphantly / victoriously) is derived from faatiH (victor / victorious) and this is in the same standard way that words like 3aalimaanah from 3aalim (savant / learned person) and 3aashiqaanah from 3aashiq (lover) are derived. All these, and many more, are used in both Urdu speech and prose.