1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu, Hindi: Guzarte waqt ke sath

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by shams74, Jun 10, 2014.

1. shams74 New Member

Urdu
    Hi,
    I need help to translate a sentence from Urdu / Hindi to English;

Guzarte waqt ke sath woh mazboot hota gaya. I trasnlate it something like this,

With passing time, he was getting stronger.

I need a better alternative to "with passing time" here. Apart this please also tell me whether the usage of "with passing time" is correct or not?

Kind regards

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^ As time passed, he got tougher and tougher.

You need to add the language in question, in your subject heading, Shams SaaHib(ah).

3. shams74 New Member

Urdu
    Thanks Qureshpor Saahib. Thats really help me. :)
    I will take care of it from now.

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

^You are most welcome. I forgot to mention that "With passing time" is perfectly fine.

5. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    Can someone explain the compound verb form hota gaya? I am not sure I have seen that one before or if I just forgot.

6. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    In addition to the translations already provided, with the passage of time and as time went by/on could also be used.
    hotaa gayaa can probably be translated as kept getting/becoming (in contrast to ho gayaa: became/got)

7. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ Alfaaz SaaHib, "hotaa gayaa" in the above context is more a gradual, on going process than a repetitve one for which "kept getting" would be appropriate.

8. littlepond Senior Member

Hindi
    ^ I think you are understanding "hotaa gayaa" wrongly, Quresh jii; "kept getting" is perfectly fine. To rephrase the translation you gave, "He kept getting stronger as time passed." "Becoming" is always a discrete event in itself, so it has to be repeated if a person is getting stronger.

A gradual, ongoing process in the past with no repetitions would have been "ho rahaa thaa".

9. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    So it is like using a jaise jaise vaise vaise construct to use hotaa jaanaa

10. littlepond Senior Member

Hindi
    ^ Indeed, omlick jii. "jaise jaise waqt guzraa/waqt guzartaa gayaa, vaise vaise voh mazboot huaa/hotaa gayaa". Also "Waqt ke guzarne ke saath voh mazboot huaa".

11. banjaara New Member

India-Hindi & English
    I agree that "With passing time" sounds a little mundane as compared to the sense conveyed by "Guzarte waqt ke saath". How about, "As time went by" or "As time moved on". "He gained strength as time went by" or "He went from strength to strength as time went by".

Regards