1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu-Hindi: "ho'uuN" vs huuN

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Qureshpor, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    In the subjunctive mood, the Urdu-Hindi verb, as we all know, is conjugated as follows.

maiN karuuN
    ham kareN

tuu kare
    tum karo

vuh kare
    vuh kareN

Based on this, the verb "honaa", ought to follow the same pattern.

maiN ho'uuN
    ham ho'eN/hoveN

tuu ho'e/hove
    tum ho'o/hovo

vuh ho'e/hove
    vuh ho'eN/hoveN

This was the case in the older language but in the modern language, the above has been replaced by..

maiN huuN
    ham hoN

tuu ho
    tum ho

vuh ho
    vuh hoN

When one uses a sentences incorporating "honaa" in the first person, I feel like using the "ho'uuN' form to distinguish it from the present tense (indicative mood) form "huuN". For example..

agar maiN biimaar ho'uuN to yahaaN merii tiimaar-daarii kaun kare gaa?

If I be(come)/fall ill, who is going to nurse me here?

agar maiN biimaar huuN to yahaaN merii tiimaar-daarii kaun kare gaa?

If I am ill, who is going to nurse me here?

I believe there is a subtle difference in meaning between the two sentences. Would it be considered totally wrong if I used the former in place of the latter construction amongst Urdu speakers? The example chosen is not such a good one, but I could n't think of anything better.

2. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    I just saw ho'uuN today in a Hindi book I am reading. I can't vouch for it in Urdu though nor even in colloquial Hindi itself, but it would nice to know if it is acceptable in the spoken langauges.

3. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I've always said "ho'uun," but I had the sneaky suspicion that Urdudaan would vehemently disapprove. I also agree with the distinction you make above.

4. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    I heard all these from our xidmatgaars and when I hear these from "Bhojpuris" in The Netherlands it brings back fond memories of my childhood!

As I mention above, I do hear these forms from "Bhojpuris" in Holland. I also heard these from “Awadhi” speakers in Lucknow and those from the Sitapur district. They are mostly uneducated and would be labelled as rural / bucolic / pastoral.
    True of most I've come across!

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

I wonder if any of our more recent Forum incomers from Hindi speaking background have any views on "ho'uuN vs huuN". Views of Urdu speakers welcome too.

6. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    QP SaaHib you are right, both sentences have different meanings. I will not use "ho'uuN" to mean "huuN".

7. Qureshpor Senior Member

What you seem to be implying is that in Hindi at least ho'uuN" is alive and well. I believe in Urdu, it is always replaced by "huuN". In the sentence below, which I used in a recent post, I felt like writing "ho'uuN" but was constrained by Urdu usage. No doubt this feeling arose because of my Punjabi psyche because in Punjabi, the word would have been "hovaaN".

agar ho sake to post # 10 ko ek baar dekh liijiye. yih bhii ho saktaa hai kih maiN hii Ghalatii par huuN.

8. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    Yes, I see nothing wrong with ho'uuN. I will always make distinction between ho'uuN and huuN.

I'm not clear about post#10 as we haven't reached that many posts in this thread.

9. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ We will soon! The quoted sentence is from # post 10 of another thread.

10. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    Ok. Which thread is that?

11. Gope Senior Member

Chennai
    Tamil
    Chhaatr SaaHib, how is ho'uuN written in devanagari? होऊँ?

12. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    You are right Gope jii. That is how it is written.

13. Qureshpor Senior Member

Interesting McGregor in his Hindi Grammar gives both "ho'uuN" and "huuN". So "huuN" in this situation is not unknown in Hindi.

14. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    Jii, bilkul, QP SaaHib. Some would say "huuN" while others may say "ho'uuN". I am one of those who would prefer the latter in the given context.