Urdu/Hindi: mere sone kaa waqt ho gayaa hai

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Abu Talha, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    Hello,

Which of these is correct?

mere sone kaa waqt ho gayaa hai

Or

meraa sone kaa waqt ho gayaa hai

Both seem OK to my ears.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    First one for me.

3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    [mere sone kaa] vaqt ho gayaa hai

meraa [sone kaa waqt] ho gayaa hai

From the way I have grouped the words together, it appears to me that in the first example the emphasis is on "sonaa/sone", hence "mere" is declined in the same way. In the second example, the emphasis is on "vaqt which is linked to "meraa". This is how the sentences appear to me. Both are correct.

Edit: The first example has one more meaning. One of "Goldfinger"'s clients might say to Mr. Goldginger, "It is time for my gold"!:)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Abu Talha SaaHib has posed an interesting question. I would be interested in your rationale, UM SaaHib. Essentially I see them as follows.

1) It is time for my sleep.

2) My time for sleeping has come.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    ^ I just repeated both sentences in my head a few times and went with the one that sounded most familiar to me.

6. mastermind1212 New Member

India-Hindi
    In general , 1st one is more used by people. And i seems to be good in comparison to 2nd.

7. Qureshpor Senior Member

Why does the first one seem "good in comparison to 2nd"? What are your views about it?

8. Qureshpor Senior Member

Thank you, UM SaaHib.

9. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    If I may chime in, I'd go for mere sone kaa waqt ho gayaa hai. The reason is that the expression ''sone kaa waqt'' can be more or less described as an idiomatic phrase. sone kaa waqt ho gayaa hai ---> meraa [sone kaa waqt] ho gayaa hai. The other one, meraa sone kaa waqt ho gayaa hai is of course perfectly allright, where the emphasis lays on the need of sleep.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  10. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Both are correct and popular, and the deconstructions have already been done by QP.