Urdu/Hindi: merii baat kaa buraa mat manaanaa میری بات كا برا مت منانا मेरी बात का बुरा मत / नहीं मानना

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Chhaatr, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Chhaatr Senior Member

In almost all the videos I've watched Urdu speakers choose to say "merii baat kaa buraa mat manaanaa" where a Hindi speaker would probably say "merii baat kaa buraa nahiiN/mat maannaa".

Does the second version have a different meaning in Urdu or is it that it's never used?

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

The second version is used. Some might consider the first wrong, while others might consider both to have slightly different meanings. Here is a thread where this issue was discussed in detail: Urdu-Hindi: manaanaa.
  3. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    The second, nahiiN, version is very much alive and well in Urdu! In fact, in our speech mat never makes an appearance unless we are quoting someone who uttered it. BTW, I've heard both mat and nahiiN in Urdu dramas. It may depend on the writer too.
  4. Chhaatr Senior Member

Thank you Alfaaz SaaHib. That was a very interesting thread.

Thank you Faylasoof SaaHib. So far I had come across only the first version but you are right it might depend on the writer. As I watch more dramas, I might come across the second version too.
  5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Chhaatr Sb., as you might have gathered, mat has been very much part of Urdu – as much as nahiiN or nah to mean no / not, or else don’t in an negation imperative, just as one of our most quotable poet has used several times.
    Here are a couple of examples of how Ghalib used mat instead of nah or indeed nahiiN, which here would not sit well anyway.

شرحِ اسبابِ گرفتاری ِ خاطر مت پوچھ
    اس قدر تنگ ہوا دل کہ میں زنداں سمجھا
    sharH-e-asbaab-e-giriftaariy-e-xaaTir mat puuchh
    is qadr tang huwaa dil keh maiN zindaaN samjhaa

مت پوچھ کہ کیا حال ہے میرا ترے پیچھے
    تو دیکھ کہ کیا رنگ ہے تیرا مرے آگے
    mat puuchh keh kyaa Haal hae meraa tire piichhe
    tuu dekh keh kyaa rang hae teraa mire aage

Some might use mat instead of nah / nahiiN all the time but it certainly is not wrong! Urdu is quite flexible as a whole and although I must repeat that in our speech mat has all but gone we, however, have never considered its use as incorrect.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  6. bobodenkirk Banned

India - Hindi & English
    i dont think so IMO they both are same but depending on the situation the meaning can be different for both of these.
  7. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    To elaborate to what I said above (post# 5), i.e. mat being used as a negative imperative (= prohibition), this is what Platts says too:

H مت मत mat (dialec.) मति mati [Prk. म + (prob.) अदि (3rd pers. sing. of the pres. of the auxiliary verb 'to be'); S. मा+अति], prohib. adv. (used with the imperat. only), Do not, don't (e.g. mat jā, 'don't go').

One would never use mat otherwise, making it much more restricted than nah / nahiiN, which are used for negations in general. For example we never say mat when answering a question!

kyaa aap / tum ne kaam xatm kar liyaa?

The answer in the negative here would of course be nah /nahiiN / jii nahiiN ( the latter as the polite form) and never mat! But in mat jaa we can replace mat with nah / nahiiN --> nah jaa ! etc.

Although this has already been discussed in the 'manaanaa' thread linked in post # 2 above, just to emphasize, there is of course a substantial difference in manaanaa and maannaa. Given the context, it should be buraa mat / nahiiN mannaaa.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013