Urdu/Hindi - pronunciation of chaah(a)ti

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, Dec 14, 2012.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    In a drama, actress Javeer Kaur said "chaahatii kyaa hai" (See YouTube "Hitler Didi 13th December 2012 pt3" - 4:27).
    I was always under the impression that the inherent 'a' was never pronounced after the verb stem -
    so chaah-naa - becomes chaah-taa. Is this common to say chaaha-tii?

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I have tried to look for the reference you have provided but was not successful. Is your reference correct?

Try saying out aloud the following sentences.

maiN jaanataa huuN kih aap bahut achchhii Urdu bolate haiN. jo is baat kaa inkaar karate haiN vuh aap se jalate haiN. un ko bhoNkane deN! maiN bas yahii chaahataa huuN.

Does this sound right to you?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  3. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    This sounds a bit unusual but my Bihar native friend routinely says kahete* for kahte/kehte.

* second vowel schwa

4. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    It seems that one was blocked. You should have been able to find it.

Please look for this one "Hitler Didi 13th December 2012 Video Watch Online Part2 " minute 4:27

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

I would say a bit more than "a bit". I don't think even Lalu Prasad Yadav would speak like this.

6. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Could this pronunciation also be done for emphasis, as in "chāhatī kyā hai?"

7. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    This could be Marathi influence as well, in which medial schwas are often retained, unlike HU. Kaur is a Punjabi last name, of course, but check to see if she is Bombay-born. That could be it. I have often noticed this and a slightly different 'r' pronunciation to be markers of this particular accent. HU natives might perceive this as a 'dragging'. Amir Khan does it sometimes too, but inconsistently.

8. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    She is from Mumbai.

However, interstingly enough, I found another example on hindiurduflagship.org. Neha Ladha (Jaipur se) says it in the Hindi Spoken Thesaurus Health Part 3 episode at 4:06.

http://hindiurduflagship.org/old/resources/thesaurus/player/health3.html

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  9. hindiurdu Senior Member

^Hmmm ... she is trying to enunciate carefully but, even beyond that, she doesn't sound Rajasthani to me. There's almost a Eastern accent in there somehow, something that feels faintly Bihari. I know that sounds odd because she's clearly from a Western Hindi area, but still. I wouldn't ever guess her to be from Rajasthan based on how she says 'itni dubli ho gai ho' (around 3:35) and other sequences. I could be quite wrong, of course. Just my impression. Schwas in emphasis are of course very common - youtube 'Hargiz Nahin - Tamil Ho - Prithviraj - Durga' at around 0:20 - 'shahzaade > shaah(a)zaade', but it doesn't feel wrong because of how they are speaking. It sometimes reminds me of how preachers speak in the United States - youtube 'Evangelist CT Townsend Preaching @ Teays Valley Baptist' after 0:45.

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ In singing, the extra a is quite prominent. Just listen to Iqbal's famous Ghazal

tere 3ishq kii intihaa chaahtaa huuN
    merii saadagii dekh kyaa chaahtaa huuN

sung by Malika Pukhraj. (Type: Tere ishq ki inteha chahta hoon)

11. hindiurdu Senior Member

Absolutely. Another one is "Angrezi Mein Kehte Hain - Khudar (1080p HD Song)" at 0:48. अंग्रेज़ी/aNgrezii becomes अंगरेज़ी/aNgarezii.

12. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    ^ Thanks HU. That's precisely how my Bihari friend says kah'te/kahete. QP saahab you found that really hard to believe. Now good to see examples.

13. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    I've been wondering if that has anything to do with the "h" in "chaah". Could speakers add the 'a' back in to emphasize the presence of the 'h'?

14. mastermind1212 New Member

India-Hindi
    Its just mis-spelling of Hindi in English. There are few words which have approximate wrong or we can say that it is impossible to write every word of Hindi in English. Most of the Pakistani write , boy = larka , but Indian always write boy=ladka. So both are correct but preference is given to ladka because its more relevant to the pronunciation "लड़का"=ladka= boy.

15. Qureshpor Senior Member

Some of us write laRkaa, because it is more relevant to لڑ کا