Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi: don't judge me

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by marrish, Apr 3, 2013.

1. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu

My TV is on and I heard a phrase spoken by some character: ''Hey, don't judge me!" It caught my attention and I have tried to translate it into any of the target languages, but I couldn't do justice to it as yet, so I thought it can be a good thread for the forum!

How would you say it in Urdu, Hindi or Punjabi?

I suppose it doesn't have to do anything with ''jaj, faisalah or nirNRay''.

Hoping the issue proves interesting to all of you, I'm starting this thread. I hope you give me the chance to thank you for your contributions!
  2. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole

Literaly, judge in Hindi is nyaay karnaa, but in this sense it probably doesn't fit.
    A second phrase that came to mind was "nuqs nikaalnaa" which doesn't seem to quite fit because you are not admiting its a fault really.

"Don't judge me" seems to mean "mujhe buraa mat samjho!"
  3. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I like your suggestions, also those that wouldn't work. I hadn't thought of nyaay karnaa.
  4. greatbear Banned

India - Hindi & English
    Literally, it would be "meraa aaNkalan mat karo", but no one would use it colloquially: the concept itself of asking others to not to judge is western, so the only colloquial construction in Hindi would be the English phrase itself.
  5. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    marrish SaaHib, it might be easier for people to come up with possible answers if your sentence is put something like this.

Don't judge a book by its cover!

Don't judge her by her past! She is a reformed character now.

Don't judge a person by his faith but by his deeds.
  6. Alfaaz Senior Member

Just for clarification, the correct pronunciation of نقص is naqs.
    Could the following work:
    میرے متعلق (بلاوجہ) رائے قائم نہ کرو - mere muta'aliq (bilaa-wajh) raa'e qaa'im nah kareN
    مجھ پر تفرّس نہ کریں / (اپنا) تفرّس نہ آزمائیں - mujh par tafarrus nah kareN / (apnaa) tafarrus nah aazmaa'eN
  7. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    In Urdu, but not in Hindi. In Hindi, nuqs/nuks is fine.
  8. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    If you would like another verb suggestion, there is also thaharaanaa that can carry a meaning like judge.
  9. Chhaatr Senior Member

"Mujhe parkheN mat" can be one of the options in Hindi.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  10. Qureshpor Senior Member

I don't know about the second option but the first one certainly seems to fit the bill very closely. Perhaps bilaa-vajh can be taken out. If someone is making a judgement, the implication is that judgement is flawed because the person has n't taken everything into account.
  11. Alfaaz Senior Member

...تفرّس: کسی ظاہری نظر سے کسی چیز کے باطن کا حال معلوم کرنا / Tafarrus
  12. Qureshpor Senior Member

Thank you, Alfaaz SaaHib. I would still go for the first option because it would be understood by all.

mere muta3alliq (be-bunyaad) raa'e mat qaa'im karo.

Don't judge a book by its cover!

kitaab ke sar-i-varaq ko dekh kar us par raa'e mat qaa'im karo (?)

13. insouciantguru Member

India- English & Hindi
    I agree, it is a western concept.

Translating “don’t judge me” literally into Hindi might not carry the same purport that it does in English, unless the Hindi speaker is familiar with English.

It might be better to translate it into: Don’t judge my character.

How about: "mere charitra par nirnay mat lo"
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  14. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I've been looking for different translations of the Bible (Matthew 7:1): "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

So far I've been able to access several Urdu translations:

1) 3aib nah lagaa'o kih tum par 3aib nah lagaayaa jaawe (1800's)
    2) 3aib-jo'ii nah karo kih tumhaarii bhii 3aib-jo'ii nah kii jaa'e
    3) 3aib-jo'ii nah karo taa kih tumhaarii bhii 3aib-jo'ii nah ho
    4) duusroN ke muta3alliq faisalah nah do, tab xudaa tumhaare Haqq meN bhii faisalah nah de gaa.

I think it is a good way to take this thread further as it sheds a new light on the subject. Unfortunately I don't know whether the translations are fine compared with the original text; I would also be interested in other translations in Urdu and Hindi.
  15. Qureshpor Senior Member

In one of my bibles, "ilzaam mat lagaa'o taa kih tum par ilzaam nah lagaayaa jaave".