Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi: Merry Christmas

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by marrish, Dec 25, 2012.

1. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu

Since it is Christmas, why not have a seasonal thread in the Indic languages. As far as my searching abilities can reach, there is no separate thread devoted to this subject here, but there is a multilingual thread elsewhere and some relevant post managed to get found which I'm reproducing below (by clicking on the links inside the quotation you will be taken to the thread in question):
    There is also a Wikipedia page with a list of these wishes in several languages here. For Hindi, it offers शुभ बड़ा दिन (hi) (śubh baṛā din), शुभ क्रिस्मस (hi) (śubh krismas), मेरी क्रिसमस (hi) (merī krismas), क्रिसमस मुबारक (hi) (krismas mubārak), while for Urdu it has:کرسمس مبارک (ur) (krismas mubārak), میری کرسمس (ur) (merī krismas).
    Punjabi is not included.

The word for Christmas is krismas and I believe it reflects the reality, i.e. that both Urdu and Hindi use a loan-word with its roots in English, but I remember having heard بڑا دن مبارک baRaa din mubaarak in Urdu many Christmases ago.

I'm curious if there are other instances/forms of this greeting?

Merry Christmas!
  2. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    Saw this for Christmas on Facebook today from an Urdu speaker: "Eid E Miladun Eesa Nabi"

I know in Bangla 'boRodin' is used for Christmas-shubbho boRodin is Merry Christmas. Interesting to know that it was once used in Urdu. I wonder what happened to that expression?
  3. greatbear Banned

India - Hindi & English
    Christmas is also called as naataal in Hindi, so naataal mubarak or shubh naataal could also be used. Of course, what's actually used is "Merry Christmas" even when speaking Hindi.
  4. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    naataal is of Portuguese origin, and I knew it was used in Gujarati and Marathi, but I didn't know it was used in Hindi/Urdu too. I've never seen it listed in any dictionaries. Not even Platts.
  5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thanks for Bengali, Icfatima! The FB quote you shared is fine although it is from a Muslim perspective. Not really what I was looking for, but it enriches the interreligious palette, for which Urdu has been famous of, very nicely. Thank you very much.
  6. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
  7. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you, it sounds very Portuguese. Perhaps you included Urdu out of courtesy but there is need to add Urdu after the slash as there is no mention of it in the post about naataal and also it is not applicable on Urdu.
  8. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    ^ I figured if a Portuguese word like naataal is used in Hindi, it's probably used in Urdu too. That seems to be the case for all the other Portuguese borrowings I can think of (eg. girjaa, kamraa, baalTii, santaraa, kaajuu, chaabii, almaarii, etc.).

Btw, there's a typo in the thread title (Urud instead of Urdu).
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  9. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    miladun ?? with -un ??
  10. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Perhaps "3iid-i-miilaadu_nnabii 3iisaa" was meant.
  11. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    That is a possibility.
  12. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you and sorry for the typo (another one is the lack of 'no' before 'need'). I hope the mods can fix it.
  13. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    May I take this opportunity to wish all our friends a very Happy Christmas. I hope the cooking and the eating is going/has gone according to plan, unlike our poet Naziir Akkbarabadi who was cooking for his beloved but..

کدھر ہے آج الٰہی وہ شوخ چھلبلیا
    جس کے غم سے مرا دل ہؤا ہے باولیا

اِدھر تو قرض ہؤا اور اُدھر نہ آیا یار
    پکائی تھی کھیر قسمت سے ہو گیا دلیا

My lord, where is that mischievous fraudulent lady
    In whose sorrow my heart has gone totally crazy

In debt I am, beloved is not here, I am short of courage
    I had rice pudding in mind but, alas, it is now porridge!

​This is padding for the pudding!
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  14. HZKhan

HZKhan Senior Member

Karachi, Pakistan
    Urdu e Mu'alla
    In a nineteenth century Urdu book, I've seen یومِ کلاں/yaum e kalaaN being used for Christmas.
  15. HZKhan

HZKhan Senior Member

Karachi, Pakistan
    Urdu e Mu'alla
    Arab christians use iidul miilaad for this day, so taking cue from them, we can also say 'iid e miilaad e masiih' in Urdu.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014