Urdu, Hindi: sports club/centre

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by marrish, Feb 17, 2012.

1. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Hi,

Just wondering how you would say 'sports centre, sports club' in Urdu and in Hindi, bearing in mind that in such a place there are facilities to indulge into different sports.

Of course it is very easy to say: sporTs klab but I am looking for an expression which doesn't contain English loanwords.

I'd appreciate if you could give an existent expression, if possible.

Let us start with kheloN kaa markaz/kendra.

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    warzish khaanah/gah would be place of exercise or gymnasium: عریانی مرکز in its original meaning....

sports center/place/club: khel markaz/gah/anjuman, or these really wild ones with izaafats: مرکز لہو و لعب , مرکز الریاض ! (The last two could be misunderstood for something really different...?)

3. flyinfishjoe Senior Member

American English
    I think jimxaanaa would be a good Hindi candidate. Although this might derive from the English word "gym." I'm not sure of this.

4. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Yes it does seem like an English-Urdu hybrid: gym-gymnasium and khaanah/خانہ : place...

But wouldn't that be more like exercise place than sports club (as mentioned in the post above)...or maybe it can work for both? might even depend on regional differences (some people/parts of the world may view a gym and sports center differently...)

5. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Could baazi/بازی also be used in place of khel (if making an izaafat was desired)...?

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    jimxaanaa / jimxaanah or gymkhana as it was known at the time of the British is discussed here. However, there are other meanings too, here and here. So not exactly ideal for what we are looking for.

7. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    In Hindi, I'd say "khel kendra" or "kriDaa kendra" for sports/recreation centre and "khel addaa" for sports club. Of course, gymkhaanaa very much exists also for a sports center.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thanks for this contribution - very accurate. Is jiimxaanah also used for a sports centre?

9. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you for providing background information. Your suggestion is important - it would be indeed not opportune to use jimxaanah as such.

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو

I would like to see a trend in Urdu towards compound word-formation. I would also like to start from grass root words of the language, if possible, before soaring high in the sky in search of other words. The latter course of action of course is not always avoidable.

jim-xaanah is a good example and I would like to reserve this for "gym" alone.

khel-markaz (Sports Centre/s)
    khel-club (Sports Club/s) (I know you don't want any English words but "club" has been around for a long time.
    khel-akhaaRaa (Sports Arena)
    khel-dangal (Sports Stadium)
    khel-maidaan (Sports Ground/Field)

11. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Gymkhana is a sports center; it isn't anything else! My university's sports center used to go by the name of gymkhana - the word "gym" has nothing to do with the English gyms, but the word for ball in Hindi, "gend". So it's neither an anglicism nor a wrong choice - the only reason I would select "khel kendra" or something similar is that gymkhanas were set up during the British Raj and the word is obsolete now.

12. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    marrish SaaHib, though gymkhana (jimxaanah) is indeed used for a sports centre in South Asia (well at least in India and Pakistan), the word however is categorised as ‘Anglo-Indian’, as you would easily recognise it. So I guess it would not meet your original criterion. I mean this,
    The ‘gym’ in gymkhana is from English!

gymkhana 1861, Anglo-Indian, said to be from Hindustani gend-khana, lit. “ball house;” altered in English by influence of gymnasium.

As this etymology makes plain, our original gend-khana (gend-xaanah گیند خانہ गेंद-ख़ाना = ball house) became gymkhana (jimxaanah) under the influence of the English word gymnasium. This hybrid term was popularised during the British era and now we all use it!

Since you are looking for a term that doesn’t include English loanwords (gym being such a lone word) therefore you may wish to revert to our original gend-xaanah گیند خانہ गेंद-ख़ाना, except it would, I suppose, give a very limited meaning!

In that case, some of the other (entirely native) terms already mentioned might be better. BTW, there is also mall-bhuu (= wrestling ground, athletic ground, arena, gymnasium etc.), but its use too will raise some issues!

13. nineth Senior Member

Hindi, Telugu
    gymkhana is what's being used for sports center / club in Indian universities for example. "kreeda kendra" is actually an equally good or a better way to refer to sports center in Hindi.

14. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thanks for the information. I repeat my question posed elsewhere, do you use in your speech (GYMKHANA)?
    Thank you for confirming what greatbear SaaHib has already said (kriiDaa kendra).

15. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    In that case QP SaaHib, it seems that khel ghar کھیل گھَر has also been coined! It even gets a listing here, down the page! Also elsewhere.
    .... and we know that جمخانہ jimxaanah is in current use all over South Asia. I found this and it is in Punjabi too!

16. nineth Senior Member

Hindi, Telugu
    Yes, I use it in speech since I go there (and it's called Gymkhana here) almost everyday.

17. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you for this contribution - it is indeed very concise. jimxaanah be it used or not, is a half-English word so it doesn't fit to my query.

18. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thanks for first-hand information. May I ask what kinds of sports can be practised there?

19. nineth Senior Member

Hindi, Telugu
    All kinds of sports - just about everything. There is no restriction in either direction for it to be called gymkhana.

20. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    In such a case we could also say khel nadi the latter meaning club in arabic. Personally I don't see the harm since its an established word for just that and since riyadha hasnt been put down. However, seasoned members have come up with good suggestions. It really boils down to whether urdu does have a non english term for club and if so nadi would be a candidate.

21. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    In Classical Arabic and MSA the word is nadwah for a club but there is already a famous nadwah in Lucknow where 3aalims (religious scholars) are trained! It is called nadwat-ul-3lamaa2 or simply nadwah!

Besides, as you note yourself, there are plenty of good suggestions above. I don't think we are lacking any number of good terms, it is just most are not used or used only rarely.

22. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

23. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

They are indeed except the alternatives for club are dire on their own thus the arabic nadwah as you have suggested and its furrent colloquil form nadi would suffice. Since I assume that based upon vicarious knowledge gathered from you it is in use. Running on that very thread is riyadha as Alfaaz saab suggested acceptable for sport?