1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu, Hindi: Suffix for plural feminine noun

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Qureshpor, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    We know that the plural for "3aurat" is "3aurateN", "musiibat" is "musiibateN", "laRkii" is laRkiyaaN" and "kursii" is "kursiyaaN".

Today I was watching something on Youtube when the man being interviewed said..

"chaaliis hazaar se zaa'id kursiieN jo lag ga'ii thiiN..". Have you often come across this phenomenon?

2. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    I have heard this once in a while.

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I would expect he said ''chaaliis hazaar se zaa'id kursii jo lag ga'ii thiiN''

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

"kursii" would be fine as a "generic" term for chair/chairs but here, after a number we would expect "kursiyaaN", I would say.

5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    You are right, kursiyaaN would be a better option but even after a number I would deem ''kursii'' correct.

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Has anyone else heard this kind of feminine plural noun ending before?

7. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I am not very sure, I have a vague reminiscence but I can't tell if I heard it or not but I have heard recently something equally puzzling - din (a day) - pl. dineN!

8. Qureshpor Senior Member

This is a first for me! "din" used as a feminine noun!

My first encounter with the "eN" plural suffix added to a feminine noun ending with an "-ii" was the word "laRkiyeN". That was at a time when I would have been in a primary school.

9. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^ For me too! The person was trying to remember which day of the week it was and said: :Dmujhe to dineN bhii bhuul ga'iiN:D! A native speaker, just to add.

Now that you mentioned '''laRkiyeN''', yes, I remember having heard it as well. It sounds very funny for me. I have a theory which might explain this phenomenon... but I need some time for it to crystallize.