Urdu, Hindi: The verbs "tairnaa" and "pairnaa"

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Qureshpor, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    In the "maiN/meN" thread, Faylasoof SaaHib in passing mentioned these two verbs and I quote the relevant part of his post.
    I am aware of the existence of these two verbs but I must confess I have always thought of them as synonymous, both meaning "to swim" and "to float". In speech and writing I have come across "tairnaa" as the much more commoner verb. My first choice of usage would be "tairnaa" and that is simply because I have n't been exposed to "pairnaa" that much.

I would like to know from forum friends if they see these verbs as distinct or synonymous. Would you prefer the choice of one over the other in your day to day speech?

2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    QP SaaHib, I too am aware that many (may be most Urduphones) use them synonymously but in our understanding pairnaa is always associated with animate beings as it involves an activity, viz. swimming, while tairnaa is used by us for inanimate things as it signifies an inactive state, i.e. flotation. Still, it'll be interesting to find out how people here are using these terms.

3. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    Platts lists them as synonymous. I agree that tairnaa is much more common.

4. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    I confess I haven't come across pairnaa. I use tairnaa to mean both "to swim" and "to float".

Just curious to know why we say in Hindi tairaakii pratiyogitaa for a swimming competition and not pairaakii pratiyogitaa?

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

Yes, the well known dictionaries do appear to give dual meaning of swimming and floating for both of them. They go on to give tairaak/pairaak for a swimmer and tairaakii/pairaakii for swimming.

Interestingly, here is a section of a nazm by Nazeer Akbarabadi (1740-1830) which is entitled "aagraa kii tairaakii ke bayaan meN". But in the lengthy poem, he goes onto use "pairnaa".

Here are the two opening lines.

jab pairne kii rut meN dil-daar pairte haiN
    3aashiq bhii saath un ke Gham-xvaar pairte haiN

He then goes to describe the various scenes.. Here is a glimpse from those descriptions. I am assuming "Tarbiinii" is a place within Agra (?)

Tarbiinii meN haa-haa hotii haiN kyaa bahaareN
    xilqat ke ThaTh hazaaroN, pairaak kii qataareN

paireN nahaaveN, uchhleN, kuudeN laReN pukaareN
    le le vuh chhiiNT Ghaute khaa khaa ke haath maareN

kyaa kyaa tamaashe kar kar izhaar pairte haiN
    is Agre meN kyaa kyaa ai yaar pairte haiN

Now, I don't know if the word "tairaakii" in the title is an error that has crept in but it seems to me that Nazir Akbarabadi could have used the verb "tairnaa" without affecting the metre in any way. To my mind, at least in this nazm, pairnaa implies swimming and not floating which lends support to Faylasoof SaaHib's usage.

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

جو خون کا قطرہ اِس حلقِ بُریدہ سے پانی میں گرتا ہےاللّھ کی قدرتِ کاملہ سے وہ لعل ہو کر تِرتا ہے۔

فسانۂ عجائب ۔ رجب علی بیگ سرور

jo xuun kaa qatrah is Halaq-i-buriidah se paanii meN girtaa hai, Allah kii qudrat-i-kaamilah se vuh la3l ho kar tirtaa hai,

fasaanah-i-3ajaa'ib. Rajab ali Beg "Suruur".(1831)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013