Urdu: How do you pronounce محی الدین ?

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Qureshpor, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This thread has come about as a result of marrish SaaHib's latest post in the "Some family relations" thread. I would like to ask forum friends how they pronounce the name محی الدین when they are speaking Urdu. Please provide your transliteration as accurately as possible. Also, how have you heard it pronounced if it is different from your pronunciation?

2. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
  3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Thank you, Abu Talha SaaHib for this. My emphasis is on Urdu speakers. I would ask Urdu speakers to please ignore the Arabic forum thread and answer my query without any other influence.

4. rc2 Junior Member

US
    India - Telugu
    If you deem me fit to participate, QP-saahib, I would say: muhi.ud.deen

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

You are most welcome, RC Jii, for I did not use the phrase "native Urdu speakers"!:)

6. rc2 Junior Member

US
    India - Telugu
    Touché QP saahib.

7. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    [mŏhi(y)uddiin] I hope the transcription is accurate, with ŏ indicating a short vowel, not the long rounded one we are used to.

And now, with your permission, back to the Arabic thread!

8. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    I feel have heard it pronounced without the /h/ as Moiy uddiin.

9. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    muhiuddiin

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

Thank you everybody for your kind responses. I was hoping for a few more replies but that's life!

These are the four replies..

muhi.ud.deen (rc), mŏhi(y)uddiin (marrish), Moiy uddiin (Icfatima), Muhiuddin (UM)

Interestingly, this is what I expected! This word is one of those words that people seem to be employ free style in pronouncing! I have heard "moHaiyyuddiin" or similiar. The word in fact is formed on the pattern of "muslim", "muxbir", "murshid" etc. This results in the word being "muHyiy", based on the consonants of the root word (pattern IV of the Arabic verb). The "i+y" combination, according to Arabic phonology is deemed to be equivalent to "-ii", so we get "muHyii". When it is combined with al-diin/ad-diin, the -ii is shortened to an -i and finally, we get "muHyiddiin"!

11. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    QP SaaHib, your explanation appears to be convincing, not only to me but also to the lady whose voice from Egypt you and the interested parties may hear on clicking on the following link:

http://www.forvo.com/word/%D9%85%D8%...F%D9%8A%D9%86/

Still, on the other hand, the two men I know that bear this name would not perhaps react to it as they call themselves as I submitted in the seventh post. What to do if someone has a variant of a name, like An, Ann, Anne, Anna, Ana...

12. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ I don't believe my explanation for "muHyi_ddiin" is inaccurate. Indeed there are many variations in the pronunciation of this compound word. This has been apparent from the various responses from our forum friends. But if you were to type in Ziya Muhyiddiin/Ziya Muhyiddin on Youtube, you will not find one hit on that one and only Zia Mohyeddin.

If the only positive thing that comes out of this thread is Urdu and Hindi readers' acquaintance with this personality, then this is a very positive outcome indeed. I would urge both Urdu and Hindi speakers to seek out his videos to see how beautifully he reads both Urdu poetry and prose. There are some videos where the Urdu poem/prose is given in the Urdu script and consequently, learners of Urdu script (such as tonyspeed and lafz_puchnevala) would find these videos extremely useful and rewarding.

13. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I second this recommendation. You've mentioned lafz_puchnevala whom I consider satiated with our precise and academic answers so he doesn't appear any more but I had
    Mrs. Fatima in mind.

14. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    Thanks for the recommendation Marrish Saheb.

15. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    All thanks to QP who was first! I wish you were a more frequent visitor these days so that we had more fun in answering!
    Maybe you know the word for "bottom"?