Urdu: I´m "returning"/coming in one minute

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by ihsaan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Hi,

If you are talking or chatting online to someone, and you have to go away for a short while, would it be correct to say: "Main eik minute mein aati hoon."?

2. Shuaib New Member

"Deccani Urdu"

It is not wrong, really. Its exact translation would be 'I come in one minute'. More conventional would be 'Main eik minute mein aa rahi hoon' which would be the same as I am coming in one minute.

3. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    I'm not understanding why that is more conventional. I hear ihsaan's version all the time.

My one comment would be there is no benefit to using main. main is understood from aatii huuN. Not saying main sounds more colloquial in this particular context.

The English speaker in me would want to say "ham ek minaT meN vaapas aaenge" but that might be a bit awkward to native speakers. Any comments on that?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Thank you for your replies. So "eik minute mein aati hoon" it is, then?

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    In the given context I would personally go for..

maiN ek minaT meN aa'ii!

6. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ek minaT meN aatii huuN; maiN ek minaT meN aa'ii, both work but I don't think QP SaaHib's choice is so personal...

I'd even go for leaving ''minaT'' out and say ''maiN abhii aayaa!''

7. Shuaib New Member

"Deccani Urdu"
    You could drop the 'main' without it sounding awkward but speakers of Urdu/Hindi are not as inclined towards dropping the personal pronouns as, for example, speakers of Spanish.
    As for "ham ek minaT meN vaapas aaenge", the only thing that I would find awkward about it is that you are referring to yourself with 'We' as if you were more than one person - unless you were from the region of Bihar where the native speakers generally use 'Ham' instead of 'Main'.

8. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole

ham is far more widespread than Bihar. Both in personal experience and even from watching Indian tv one can learn this. Unless every Indian drama is set in Bihar!
    And ham is the only personal pronoun one can use without revealing one's sex online...

As far as dropping personal pronouns goes, I can only go by what I have heard. So I will pay closer attention to this to see if my ears deceive me.

9. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    Agreed. I'd even drop the maiN. Leaving just abhii aayaa! This would go well with snapping of fingers (chuTkii bajaate).

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

Yes, but why are you two gentleman changing the gender of the speaker?

11. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Lots of great input! Thank you. I find it interesting how a lot of you seem to prefer different ways of expressing this. In my language I think there would be only one (or maybe two?) way(s) to express my sentence.

12. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Good remark, but it's simple, I said ''I'd even go for leaving ''minaT'' out and say ''maiN abhii aayaa!''

13. Qureshpor Senior Member

Indeed. But could you not have said "maiN abhii aa'ii" in place of "Main eik minute mein aati hoon."?:)

14. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^Yes, I could have if were attentive enough! But of course teaboy jii will use the appropriate form.