Urdu: Interview

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by BP., Dec 10, 2008.

1. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    We have a beautiful word for rad shuda - mardood. Without any connotations. But you can't really use it without people getting other ideas. Which is a pity. "Job Interview maiN aap mardood qaraar payay" simply means you didn't make it through the selection process, but the interview-shuda guy is likely to be ba-dast-o-geraybaan with you!

By the way, could you please translate 'interview'?

Moderator note:
    This thread is split from here. Please don't forget to open a new thread for each and every new questions that might come up during a discussion.

Another spin-off is to be found here.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    For interview I have used muHaadathah and also muSaaHabah. Seems to vary a bit.

By the way, in Arabic they use muqaabalah for interview or sometimes hadeeth!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  3. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    muHaadathah translates to recount, narrative no? The second word sounds like being derived from 'accompany'.

Thanks a bunch.

4. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Yes, you are right about both. But if you think about it, an interview involves both. Similarly, for the Arabic alternatives 'muqaabalah' and 'Hadeeth'. Incidentally, these two words also have roots which each are related to these very words, their respective derivatives, but have other meanings too - I mean the roots do. We obviously can't use 'mukaalimah' in Urdu for interview because we already use it to mean conversation = Hiwaar in Arabic. Most people just use the English word 'interview' becasue they couldn't be bothered to look for alternatives. We actually could use 'muqaabalah', just as in Arabic. But many will confuse it with 'muqaabilah' = contest / competition, in Urdu... and 'Hadeeth' for us is reserved only for Prophetic traditions. However, 'muHaadathah' as a word in Urdu is, I feel, both available and related to the other word (Hadeeth) used in Arabic for interview. Other ideas welcome!

5. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    Well, not a proper idea, but I remember a friend once came up with that funny (and rhyming ) periphrastic 'translation' of interview :

Rû-ba-rû guftagû

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    In Farsi, from where borrow / borrowed a lot, it is muSaahebah! Rû-ba-rû guftagû = face-to-face talk (doesn't mean an interview - and is so used in Urdu). Usage: aaj teeno hukoomatooN ke wuzaraa ne rû-ba-rû guftagû ki [= Today the ministers of the three governments had (a) face-to-face talk(s)]. They didn't interview each other!!

7. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French

Who ever claimed it was ? I've called this a periphrastic translation, and it is quite good if you know the origin of the word interview...

Now the problem we are facing in Urdu is that interview is a specialized word describing a very specific thing (if you take the litteral meaning, a a word as simple as mulaaqaat almost translates it correctly !).

The other problem, is that you would like to go for a neologism... although interview has become an Urdu word and I don't see it challenged by any Urdu neologism in ne near future.... The only word i can think of which has been used in the Urdu media is mulaaqaat (khusoosii mulaaqaat= special interview).

I think I have seen MuSaaHibah translating interview in some context, but I am not sure.... Please don't ask me for references I won't probably find them...

8. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Dear Cilquiestsuens,

I didn’t say anyone was claiming anything. Perhaps that was implied, otherwise why else the suggestion on your part as an alternative to what I presented. At least that is how I understood. May be I didn't quite follow what you really meant. Anyway, if you please have a look at post #1 above, you’ll notice that I was specifically asked this: “By the way, could you please translate 'interview'?

In standard Urdu, rû-ba-rû guftagû = face to face talk, not an interview. This is how we use this term. Besides, the definition of interview you present from 1514 though very interesting historically is quite outdated. The present meaning is significantly different from how the word was used then. The term khusoosee mulaaqaat also presents to me a problem as it is found in standard Urdu and means special meeting ( khusoosee = special, and mulaaqaat = meeting). This is how it is used.

BTW, I really don’t need a reference for ‘muSaaHibah’. I am satisfied that it would suit the same purpose in Urdu as it does in Farsi and, just as you say, it has already been used in this manner in Urdu anyway. That’s all.

baa du’aa o salaam o durood o ‘aafiyat

(Just a more traditional way of wishing you all the best!!)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  9. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Cilko I would definitely use ru-ba-ru guftugoo for a footballer's interview but hesitate to use the same word for entrevue or entretien with a prospective employer.

This word muSaaHibah is new to me but appears to be derived from SoHbat and SaHaabi.

10. Todd The Bod Senior Member

Ngo hai ni doh
    English-Midwest
    In the first sentence is "payay" supposed to be "paya"? And translation of "ba-dast-o-geraybaan" please?

11. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    پائے - payay

Not sure with the second one. با means 'with', دست means 'hand', and و means 'and,' but I don't know what to make of گریبان. Can't locate it in the dictionary either.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  12. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    gariibaan means collar. ba dast o gariibaan means embroiled in physical quarrel.

13. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    These are now being recognised as accepted words for interview in Urdu:

مُصاحَبہ muSaaHabah = [مُواجَہہ muwaajaha] = interview

مواجہہ muwaajaha actually means روبرو ruu ba ruu = face to face

مُصاحَبہ and مُصاحَبَت are from the same Arabic root: ص-ح-ب

مُصاحَبَت muSaaHabat = ham nashiinii ہم نشینی = sangat سنگت = accompaniment / keeping company

Urdu is now distinguishing between مُصاحَبہ and مُصاحَبَت; essentially the same word, one ending in ت the other in ہ, but with different meanings.

Here (& here – same report but different paper) is a link where مصاحبہ is used for interview. Some dictionaries may also be incorporating it.

مُواجَہہ muwaajaha for interview might still be quite tentative.

(There is also a UrduLibrary.org template for the meaning of مصاحبہ in Urdu, but at the moment it is blank.)

14. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    "Interview" to my mind is a succession of questions fired from one direction to which answers are expected from the other. What do you think of the following?

pursish-o-paasuKh
    purs-o-paasuKh
    purs-paasuKh

[savaal-javaab is already in vogue for "Question/Answer"]

15. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    ^we can be almost certain of encountering somewhere پرس و پاسخ if we read enough literature. Speach I'm not too sure. You could bring it in vogue in speech if you're famous and have a following janabe QP.

16. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    BP Sahib. purs-o-paasuKh is indeed present but I think it still has the meaning of "Question/Answer" in Persian. But we need not inform our Urdu readers about this and can pretend that it means "Interview"!:)

As for being famous and having a following..."yih nah thii hamaarii qismat.."!

17. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    Does muqaabalah (interview) and muqabilah (competition) have any differences in spelling and talafuz to avoid confusion.