Urdu: kamaa khaanaa

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by iskander e azam, Jun 19, 2013.

1. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    The complete sentence is as follows:
    وہ تو صرف اس پر اکتفا کر لیتی ہے کہ وہ کسی ایسے شخص کی بیوی سے
    جو اطمینان سے کما کھا رہا ہے، اور ان کی پروش کر رہا ہے۔

The verb kamaa khaanaa is found in its present continuous tense in the sentence. I thing it means something like "to earn and eat".

I think the first "se" should be a "he" in this sentence. In English, we use the world "sic" to draw attention to a mistake in quoted speech what is used in Urdu for this function?

Replies much appreciated.

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    You are correct in your assertion that "se" is a typo. However your solution, in transliteration terms, is not on the mark!:) It should be "hai". I think there is a word/usage for "sic" but I can not think of it at the moment. I might be thinking about "addenda".

...jo itmi3naan se kamaa-khaa rahaa hai

= jo itmi3naan se kamaa rahaa hai aur khaa rahaa hai

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Qureshpor SaaHib has already covered the main points so consider my post as an addition to what has already been said.

jo itmi'naan se kamaa-khaa rahaa hai --> jo itmi'naan se kamaa kar khaa rahaa hai = jo itmi'naan se kamaa rahaa hai aur khaa rahaa hai.
    Although a literal translation would be along the lines of your suggestion, i.e. earns and eats but its meaning is not exactly such. There is a logical sequence implied by this idiomatic expression: he consumes that which he earns --> he earns so that he consumes --> he does earn his livelihood so he does not need to consume what he didn't earn on his own --> he can afford to live by his own earnings. This is the proper meaning that is contained in this idiomatic verb.

Furthermore I would use kamaa-khaataa hai instead of the continuous tense but of course the latter is not wrong as long as ''biivii'' realizes her satisfaction at one particular moment.

You wished to discuss the equivalent for the Latin ''sic'' (siik) as is done in English and many other languages. I would suggest you open a separate thread for this subject because this one is about kamaa-khaanaa as per the title and I wonder if anyone suspects there is another question in here.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  4. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    marrish SaahHib, this is very idiomatic and I don't see any problem with its usage here. In fact this continuous tense sits perfectly with the first sentence.

5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I am also of the opinion that it's very idiomatic only that my preference would go for simple tense. As I said I don't consider the continuous wrong.

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Yes of course it isn't wrong! Quite appropriate, actually. Just a small point. What I meant was this continuous sentence ties in very well with the first.

7. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    marrish SaaHib, your suggestion concerning sic is paying off already. Many thanks.

8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    You're welcome. Does my suggestion regarding the meaning of kamaa-khaanaa, according to your text, work as well?

9. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    Yes, very much so, M SaaHib.