Urdu : Khasuusiyat

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Chhaatr, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    Again I am not able to get help from Mr Platts on this word. Khasuusiyat, (or is it with a "qaaf"?) means speciality? This what I think from the various contexts in which I've heard this word used.

Can it be used like in the sentence below?

peRe hamaare yahaaN kii Khasuusiyat haiN

Many thanks!

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Perhaps because the correct pronunciation is khusuusiyat...here is the entry.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  3. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    Thank you Alfaaz saaHib! Perhaps you could help me with a sample sentence which illustrates the meaning of this word other than speciality?

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    janaab-i-Chhatr SaaHib kii ek xusuusiyyat yih bhii hai kih vuh baRe muhazzab haiN. aage ko'ii maane yaa nah maane

5. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    ^ QP saaHib, paae laaguuN! Sab uupar se nikal gayaa. Phir se bataaeiN.

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    bhaa'ii ek hii to nayaa lafz isti3maal kiyaa hai, ya3nii muhazzab (civilised) [tahziib/civilization].

7. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    ^kyaa xuub mazaak karte haiN! Thaa to ek hi lafz par puure jumle kaa nichoR to usii meN thaa!

8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Chhaatr SaaHib, I agree with you on the assessment of QP SaaHib's approach, it is great.
    What his post was not able to show and which is crucial to correct writing of Urdu is ذ Zaal. (just a hint for you).
    And mazaak is already almost good because it is not majaak, but it is ق qaaf at the end which is perhaps not usual to pronounce for you but I promise you it will come!

QP: aage ko'ii maane yaa nah maane: kaun nahiiN maantaa! kharii chiiz ko ko'ii nahiiN jhuTlaa saktaa.

9. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    ^Izzat afzaaii aur sabaq donoN ke liye bahut shukriyah!