Urdu: Khush Amdeed

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by frip, Aug 3, 2009.

1. frip New Member

English
    Hello,

I would like somebody to type out "khush amdeed" in nafees font or similar (ie so that it is visible on the internet).

Reason I'm asking is that someone has asked me if I have it so he can use it on a noticeboard.

Many thanks,
    Carl.

2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Here it is!
    خوش آمدید
    xush aamadiid = welcome!

BTW, we got it from Persian!

- <x> is same as your <kh>; a fricative <k>.

3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Could someone please explain the "rationale" behind how a seemingly past tense in "Khush aamadiid" is used for a situation when the guest is at the host's door! I see the situation more of a present one than a past one. Apparently "Khush aamadiid" can also be said to a person (just like the English "You are welcome") for a situation which has yet to take place!

4. teaboy Senior Member

USA
    English
    خوش آمدید
    So much prettier in Nafees nastaleeq!

5. eskandar

eskandar Moderator

English (US)
    I see you've added the 'a' to indicate the properly Persian pronunciation. In my experience, I have only heard Urdu-speakers say "xush aamdiid" or "xush aamdeid". Is the pronunciation you indicated ("xush aamadiid") common among educated Urduphones? I am wondering specifically about those who may be well educated but have not learned Persian per se, as seems to be the trend of the times.

I would think the rationale is that when you welcome someone, the past tense 'come' in 'welcome' refers to their past journey from their home (or wherever) to your doorstep, etc. That's how I understand it anyway. I would add that, as you likely know, Persian/Urdu is not unique in this regard and many other languages have a word for 'welcome' which also contains the past tense of 'come' embedded in it; I know this is true of the Turkic languages, the Romance languages, and probably others as well.

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

7. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Yes, eskandar SaaHib I am indeed guilty of using the proper Persian form as we Urduphones are supposed to! You are right too about the omission of this and other vowels by many Urduphones. We consider this poor diction!

I know many Urduphones who have no formal knowledge of Persian, yet do not drop vowels and thus end up speaking an almost a telegraphic language. They have either received good training or are just keen listeners and learners of language, or both.
    That is exactly how I thought of this issue and yes many other languages too do the same.

“Great that you came!” said in English when welcoming someone who has just arrived and is present in front of you.

In Arabic too:

( 2atayta qauman 2ahlan wa mauDhi3an sahlan أتيتَ قوماً أهلاً و موضعاً سهلاً , often shortened to just أهلاً و سهلاً ) = you came to a people who are yours (أهل) and a place (موضع) which is smooth and level (سهل) = you are welcome = خوش آمدید xush aamadiid

8. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    QP SaaHib, I think we are talking about a slightly thing here when we look at the way in English we conventionally transliterate the long ‘a’ (آ) or the aliph-3ayn combination ‘2a3 / a3’ (أع / اع) etc. simply as <a / A> on the one hand and the way people gobble up vowels, mispronouncing aamadiid as aamdiid (or for example mispronouncing a zer for a zabar and vice versa) on the other hand.

These mistakes are either due to poor pronunciation training given by teachers or lack of attention by learners, or indeed both. I however feel it is the former as the responsibility rests ultimately with teachers provided they themselves know how to pronounce a word correctly, which very often they don’t’! Hence you very often hear xush aamdiid instead of the correct form xush aamadiid.

For your other point about the use of the past (آمدید aamadiid ) please see my reply to eskandar Saahib with whom I’m in agreement about this point.

9. Qureshpor Senior Member

I am glad that you have provided an Arabic example. As you will no doubt be aware, some Arabic grammarians do not necessarily describe the Arabic verb system in terms of "tense" but more so in terms of "aspect". This implies an action is incomplete and therefore on going compared with a completed action. An action that is complete does imply "pastness". So, could it be that in terms of "xush aamadiid", one has in mind "aspect", i.e. an act of arriving that is already complete. Therefore, one uses the "past tense" format.

You have also provided an example from English. In Urdu, we have similar examples.

agar mii-Khvaahii dar amaan baashii, baayad har roz hamiin taur az maa paziiraa'ii kunii. aan ham majaanii! fahmiidii?

agar amaan (meN rahnaa) chaahtaa hai to tujhe chaahiye har roz isii tarH hamaarii Khaatir-tavaazu3 kare. aur vuh bhii muft meN! (tuu) samjaa?!

fahmiidam!

(maiN) samjhaa!

Haalaa maraa yaad aamad!

ab mujhe yaad aayaa!

gurg aamad! gurg aamad!

bheRiyaa aa gayaa! bheRiyaa aa gayaa!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011