Urdu: kiijiyo

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Qureshpor, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    'kiijiyo" type of verb formation is obsolete in Modern Urdu even though one finds its usage as late as Ghalib (and perhaps even later). In the Punjabi that I speak (and I am talking about as an individual and not the rest of my family!!), I use "kariyo". My question is to the Urdu-goyaan-o-Urdu-daanaan. Would "kiijiyo", liijiyo" be linked to tuu or tum or aap? Or is it applicable to all the second person pronouns?

For Urdu poetry lovers, here is an example of this usage from Khvaajah Miir Dard (1719-1785)

tar-daamanii pih ShaiKh hamaarii nah jaa'iyo
    daaman nichoR deN to farishte vuzuu kareN

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    In the Hindi that my mother speaks (she's from Delhi), the "kariyo" and "aaiyo" commands are "tu" commands. In the Punjabi that my father speaks, it's "karo ji" and "aao ji", though I have heard your form in my extended family as well.

3. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole

Well, I have heard kariye from a "good" Urdu speaker from Karachi so I'm guessing kariyo would not be linked to the aap form since kariye is just a variation of keejiye.

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

I use "kariyo" with "tusiiN" only. With tuu(N), I would use "kariiN".

5. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    From my admittedly little experience, the -jiyoo conjugation is more a characteristic of ahliyaanee dillii. Too bad the only approximations to them we have over here are the ones that have posted above, and you guys are as full of clues as myself.

6. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I take back what I said earlier: my father does say these both in Punjabi just as you state. But my mother is a native Hindi speaker from Delhi and does use "kariyo" and "jaiyo", for example, in distinct ways. For us, these are "tu" commands in Hindi.

7. Qureshpor Senior Member

Can you quote any examples from Hindi literature of repute?

Here is "tum" form from Ghalib.

nah kahiyo ta'n se phir tum kih ham sitam-gar haiN
    mujhe to Khuu hai kih jo kuchh kaho bajaa kahiye

In future, don't say sarchastically that I am cruel
    For me, it is a matter of habit to call a spade a spade

I think the following shi'r is with "tuu", again from Ghalib. I say this because we address God normally with the "tuu" pronoun.

yaa rab hameN to Khvaab meN bhii mat dikhaa'iyo
    yih maHshar-i-Khayaal kih dunyaa kaheN jise

I would like to add that these forms are termed "precative" by Platts. They can be used as imperatives but with future meaning.

8. Qureshpor Senior Member

BP SaaHib. agar aap apnii baat Urdu meN kah dete to shaayad hamaare palle paR jaatii!:)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  9. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    tum kariyo / kiijiyo / liijiyo etc. were being used in Urdu poetry until just before partition at least! This is true of lakhnavii Urdu poetry as well! A number of anonymous lakhnavii poets composing salaams, nauHas and even some marthiyaas used this form.

The use of tu here (tu liijiyo etc.) I haven’t read or heard, as far as I recall!

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

Here is an example with "tuu".

tujh se to kuchh kalaam nahiiN lekin ai nadiim
    meraa salaam kahiyo agar naamah-bar mile

Ghalib

Another example with "tum".

vuh aayaa bazm meN, dekho, nah kahiyo phir kih Ghaafil the
    shakeb-o-sabr-i-ahl-i-anjuman kii aazmaa'ish hai

Ghalib

11. Qureshpor Senior Member

An example from Sauda with "tuu"

nah paRhiyo yih Ghazal Saudaa tuu hargiz Miir ke aage
    vuh in tarzoN se kyaa vaaqif vuh yih andaaz kyaa samjhe!

12. gagun Senior Member

TS,india
    Telugu-TS, Deccani-TS
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  13. Qureshpor Senior Member

^gagun Jii, are you expecting Urdu readers (as the thread language is Urdu) to read Hindi? Even if in this Forum there are a few who can, are they expected to find the aforementioned quotes by reading through the entire passages?

14. gagun Senior Member

TS,india
    Telugu-TS, Deccani-TS
    sorry i have forgotten that thread is about Urdu only and in above first link آپ اتمنان سے جاييو presents in hindi. In second link is about lord krishna 'अब न करियो तनिक भी देर/اب نہ كريو تھوڑی سی بھی دیر'

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  15. Qureshpor Senior Member

آپ اِطمئنان سے جائیو I suspect is used in the same way that some speakers use آپ جاؤ instead of تم جاؤ​ .