Urdu: maah, maheenah

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by urdustan, Jul 24, 2013.

1. urdustan Junior Member

Urdu & English
    Greetings friends,

Both words mean "month," but is maah mainly poetic? Do these words have other meanings too?

Shukriyah

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    "maah" is used all the time in normal everyday speech, e.g maah-i-ramazaan. Both "mahiinah" and "maah" are used in poetry.

mahiine vasl ke ghaRiyoN kii suurtat uRte jaate haiN
    ghaRiyaaN judaa'ii kii magar guzartii haiN mahiinoN meN

Iqbal

"maah" also means the moon (cf: maah-taab/moonlight)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  3. urdustan Junior Member

Urdu & English
    I am familiar with maah-i-ramazaan. Thanks for reminding me of that. Doesn't maah-taab also mean the moon itself (like aaftaab is sun)?

4. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    It could probably depend on different speakers' perceptions, but both are used in speech: ماہِ مبارک , ماہِ محرّم , اگلے ماہ , ماہ و سال , ماہانہ / ماہ وار , وغیرہ. The following could perhaps be an example of maah used in poetry:

غیر کی مرگ کا غم کس لۓ ، اے غیرتِ ماہ
    ہیں ہوس پیشہ بہت، وہ نہ ہُوا، اور سہی

غالب
    Yes, listed here: ماہ , مہینہ , maah , maheenaa

5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Since the question about the moon is not addressed to me let me skip it. Answering the original post take it for granted that both maah and mahiinah are used in colloquial speech, not necessarily in izaafat compounds (well, they tend to be colloquial speech as well) but what I mean to say is that I can't figure out which one is used more which says that they are, the impression under which I am, equally and interchangeably used. aap kaa xatt mile do maah hu'e, sochaa hii nahiiN thaa kih ek maah meN laa'isaNs mile gaa, ek maah ke andar borii-bistraa uThaa ke nikal jaa'o yahaaN se, do you want more?

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Your original question has more or less been answered so I needn't add anything else other than confirm that maah (=month) is not restricted to poetry but daily speech too:

is maah ham log safar kareN ge
    = We shall be travelling this month.

The second meaning of maah:

maah
    ماہ or maah-taab ماہ تاب (also pronounced as maih-taab مہ تاب)= moon, is of course also used in Urdu but not as common as chaand چاند for the same in everyday speech ( unlike aaftaab آفتاب for the sun, which is common in speech - not to be confused with آفتابہ aaftaabah [!] which is something else and not relevant here.)

In this sense, maah (to mean chaand) is also found in the compound maah o mehr* ماہ و مہر = chaand suuraj چاند سورج = the sun and the moon. Used in formal speech, literary works - both prose and poetry.

[* مِہْر mehr]

7. JaiHind Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi
    Even I feel that maah is more poetic. "maheenah" looks more fit in prose.

I think the origin of these words is the Sanskrit word maas (मास्) from which the Hindi word maah or mahinaa has come; which is used in Urdu also. "maah" has been used extensively in Hindi poetry also.

8. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    We are discussing Urdu in this thread. Let me rectify the information about the origin of these words - it's Persian not Sanskrit but we can say maasa is cognate.

9. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    maah may appear more poetic usage but, as has been said above, we use it in daily speech.

10. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Very much so!

11. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Glad we agree!

12. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Most of the times, don't we? But nowadays the main point of contention is qasam lenaa ho gaa vs. qasam lenaa ho gii and it is very healthy to disagree sometimes.

I gave some mundane examples in post #5 of maah. So basic and everyday word in Urdu.

13. urdustan Junior Member

Urdu & English
    Shukriyah for the examples!