Urdu: Misuse of "be-shak"

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Qureshpor, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Without doubt we all know what "be-shak" means!:)

You must have come across sentences of the type below in spoken (and perhaps even in written)Urdu.

das baje ke ba'd aap be-shak gaaRii le jaa sakte haiN!

After ten o'clock you can
    most certainly take the car.

But the speaker does not have the concept of certainty in mind at all. What he/she does mean is "if you so wish". Is this kind of "be-shak" usage common amongst Urdu speakers and considered acceptable.

2. souminwé Senior Member

Vancouver, Canada
    North American English, Hindi
    Well, as far as Urdu is concerned, I've heard this used on Pakistani television, so I'm assuming it's 1) not just a Hindi thing but a pan-Hindustani thing 2) common for Urdu speakers.

Anyway, it's used like this all the time in Hindi and I see it written often too. It has a conversational nuance, so you're not likely to see it in an article on a grave issue.
    This was actually the way I first learnt to use this word . It wasn't until much later (like this year, haha) that I learnt the "certainly,without doubt" meaning.

So if that's any indication of it's frequency, I hope I was helpful.

3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated.

4. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    It seems there has been no quantative (bar 3aks) but qualitative input so let me quote the classical usage of this expression in a piece from Urdu literature:
    سچ ہے ہمیں کو آپ کے شکوے بجا نہ تھے
    بے شک، ستم جناب کے سب دوستانہ تھے

sach hai hamiiN ko aap ke shikve bajaa nah the
    be-shak, sitam janaab ke sab dost-aanah the (Faiz Ahmad Faiz)

Apart from indicating that the rhyme in Urdu poetry goes with nah and dostaanah, meaning (ah) as the rhyme to reiterate for those who may be not conscious of it,

It says BE SHAK. Please let us have a discussion on it. I use personally be-shak too much!?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. Qureshpor Senior Member

I think, often "be-shak" is used in the sense of "zaruur".

aap mere Ghariib-xaane meN "be-shak" tashriif laa'iye.

"Qais jaNgal meN akelaa hai mujhe jaane do
    xuub guzre gii mil baiTheN ge jo diivaane do"