Urdu: mutaasir

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Chhaatr, May 1, 2013.

1. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hello Friends

Thanks for correcting my pronounciation of xusuusiyat. I feel most of the times I'm not able to find a word in Platts could be because of incorrect spellings.

I am now stuck with "mutaasir". No luck with Platts. When I checked the net I came across "GHair mutaasir" which was explained to mean "uninfluenced". So would "mutaasir" mean "influenced"?

Can it be used like:

maiN aap se kaafii mutaasir huaa huuN

If this isn't the most common usage, I would be grateful if someone could show it by way of a sample sentence.

Many thanks!
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Chhaatr Jii, looking up words in Platts, takes a bit of getting used to. Of course, having an idea of how a word is spelt is helpful. For double consonants you need enter the consonant once. You can search by words beginning with/ending with/containing etc. Anyway, here is what you were seeking.

A متأثر mutaʼas̤s̤ir (act. part. of
    تاثّر 'to receive an impression,' v. of
    اثر 'to make a mark' (upon)), part. adj. Producing effect or impression, efficacious, effective;—impressive, touching, affecting;—affected, touched, impressed.

chuuNkih Chhaatr SaaHib ke liye farhang-i-Platts (Platts dictionary) na'ii hai is liye vuh lafz talaash karne meN chandaaN (itne) mu'assir nahiiN

chandaaN mu'saasir nahiiN (not so effective)

is kaa matlab yih nahiiN kih ham un kii kisii aur baat se muta'assir nahiiN

It does not mean that we are not impressed with something else of his!

Your sentence is correct although "hu'aa" can be missed out.

You may find this thread helpful too.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  3. Chhaatr Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed response QP saaHib.

I have noticed you have written "muta'assir" but in the Urdu script I notice "sheen". Does one pronounce this with seen or sheen?
  4. Qureshpor Senior Member

It is not "shiin" but "se" which in the original Arabic is pronounced like the English th in think (Not th as in thaalii/plate) but in Urdu it is pronounced just like a "siin" (s). Is n't life complicated? :)
  5. Chhaatr Senior Member

Of course it is "se"! How could i make that mistake?! I believe I was concentrating so much on the dots above that I failed to notice the wave below had a single crest. Thanks for the clarification and yes I do feel relieved that "se" isn't "th" in Urdu!
  6. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Your questions have been already answered finely so let me add another sense of the word muta'assir: affected (=jis par kisii baat kaa yaa kisii kaa asar paR gayaa ho).

Example: زلزلہ کے متــأثِـــــرین کو دیگر مقامات پر مُنتـَقَل کر دیا گیا ہے
    zalzalah ke muta'assiriin ko diigar maqaamaat par muntaqal kar diyaa gayaa hai.
  7. Chhaatr Senior Member

Earthquake affected have been transferred/shifted [?] to other places.

Is my understanding correct? Here muntaqal means transferred or shifted or none of these?
  8. Qureshpor Senior Member

Two points, Chhaatr SaaHib.

1) The idiomatic translation of marrish SaaHib's sentence might be:

Those affected by the earthquake have been transferred to other locations.

2) The word in question is "muntaqil" and not "muntaqal". The latter, grammatically speaking may be correct but it is the former that is used.