Urdu/Punjabi/Hindi: Rainbow

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by lcfatima, Mar 7, 2008.

1. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    What are some of the ways to say rainbow in these languages?

2. francois_auffret Senior Member

Lahore, Pakistan
    France, French
    According to my humble knowledge, in Urdu, we say : Qaus e Qaza' (the Arabic word, which by the way, I've heard) and Dhanak (The Desi word, never heard... I think it is a poetic word)...
    Punjabi, if I'm not wrong uses the same words Qaus e Qaza' and Dhanak which is pronounced something like tanak. However, the only word I've heard in Punjabi is Pîng / Pîngh, used thus: pîng pê gaî...

Hindi, I think, has the word Dhanush... Of course, this is high (shuddh Hindi).... I don't know what would be the bol chal version...

3. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Panjabi: /pingh/
    Hindi: /indrdhanush/ and /megdhanush/, according to Shabdkosh.com

/dhanush/ and /dhanukh/ just mean 'bow.'

4. francois_auffret Senior Member

Lahore, Pakistan
    France, French
    Hello, Panjabigator,

Mc Gregor's Oxford Hindi-English dictionary gives rainbow as second meaning of Dhanush without any prefix, so I guess it must be used this way... But I'm no big expert in Hindi to be true...

However, the Urdu word Dhanak (with two 'zabar', i.e. two a's and no h at the end دهنك), obviously the 'desi' (do you call this forms tadbhava??? I'm not sure anymore, my Hindi is getting rusty, you see!) form of Dhanush means (1) bow and (2) rainbow...

In Shahmukhi Punjabi, both spellings are used Pîng and Pîngh, the word meaning jhoola (swing), which exists also in Urdu... That's an image quite different from other languages!

Do you have any idea what would be the spoken / colloquial form for it in Hindi???

Cheers :)

5. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Responding real quickly, yes, the word would be a tadbhav. A tatsam would be a word taken directly from Sanskrit without morphological changes that reflect the the modern language.

In Panjabi, the difference between ping and piingh is just tone, I think. I think pingh is a little different from jhuulaa, but I don't remember how. I think a piingh is just a one seater swing, but you'd probably be better off asking someone over there.

I think the colloquial word would be "rainbow," given the flare that English has in Hindi nowadays. But I've heard indradhanush before, so I can't say for certain. Let's wait for some more responses.

6. francois_auffret Senior Member

Lahore, Pakistan
    France, French
    Yes, let's wait for more feedback...

By the way, I meant piing and piingh, so it is almost the same word (you know that in Urdu and Pakistan's Punjabi a final H or a second H disappears almost systematically, as we have in JhooT for lie, dhoka and... dhanak).

Piing(h) is definitely a one seater... And the smaller version for children is called piingâ

I guess we started digressing...

7. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    A rainbow is called 'qaus-e-qazaa'. Maybe 'dhanak' too but hardly used in Urdu.

8. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Is this the same <qazaa> as in death? <lā'ī hayāt, ā'ī qazā le chalī chale>

9. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    Not its not, death is qaDa (qaaf + Daad )... while qaws-e-quzah is (qaaf + zaa + He - called jeemi He by Farsi speakers)

The fact is that in Arabic, Daad is pronounced like an emphatic daal, while in Urdu it is the same sound as Ze.

And if you allow me a remark, the she'r of Dhauq reads as follows :

lā'ī hayāt ā'e, qazā le chalī chale

(life brought us we came, death took us we went = bear with the litteral translation)

10. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    I'm afraid I made orthographic mistakes in there that now confuse you.

The word is qaos e quzaH-قوس قزح- 'bow/arch of (colors)?' and has no relation with qazaa-قضا.

11. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Thank you both.

And if I may,

apnī xushī na ā'e na apnī xushī chale

And just for kicks and giggles:D

ho 'umr e xizr, to kahe.nge bhī ba vaqt e marg
    ham kyā rahe yahā.n, abhī ā'e abhī chale

So they are not homophones - <quzaH> has a pesh and <qaZā> has a zer, in addition to two different z letters.

12. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    You mean to say a zabar I'd think.

13. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I always confuse the terms - thanks!

14. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    At your service.

You will think I am picky... I have no book at hand but i am quite sure you have to remove the first na here.

apnī xushī ā'e na apnī xushī chale.

and change bhii's position in the other verse

ho 'umr e xizr bhii to kahe.nge ba vaqt e marg
    ham kyā rahe yahā.n, abhī ā'e abhī chale

this is Zauq at his best.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  15. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I ALWAYS mess this one up! Thank you :)

16. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    The expected position of bhii in normal speech would be

3umr e xidhr ho to bhi kahe.Nge...

Its simple change of position gives so much more power to the statement!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  17. bakshink Senior Member

China
    punjabi
    Piing or pee.ng in Punjabi (Juulaa in Hindi) (Indian side) is used for rainbow. I haven't heard Dhanak. Pee.ng actually means a swing which is made by hanging long rope as loop from a mango tree. It has a small plank to seat as many as can sit on it. Pee.ng come up in North India on the on set of monsoon ( Saawan ke jhoole pa.De).Perhaps in Punjabi Rainbow is called pee.ng because the course of the swing corresponds to an arc as does the Rainbow.

In Hindi Indra Dhanush is the complete word and Dhanush is the short form. Dhanush means bow and for Indra see this text from Wikipedia
    Indra (Devanagari: इन्द्र ) is the King of the gods or Devas and Lord of Heaven or Svargaloka in Hindu mythology, and also he is the God of War, Storms, and Rainfall.

for more see here:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra

18. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Returning to an old thread here. Is <dhanak> commonly heard in Indian Urdu?

19. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Maybe. I heard it the first time on the tele, and that in an adabii programme '...d.hanak ke rango.n...', which means it is quite understood in Pakistani Urdu, and so may also be in its Indian counterpart. But it may not be understood just as probably, for example I asked somebody and we guessed together it meant the same as qausequzaH.

I see I made a spelling error in my post you quoted. Its qaus e quzaH-قوسِ قزح.

Come to think of it, d.hanak may be from the same root as d.hanush...Ss and Ks go all wibbly wobbly in the IE family.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  20. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Neology time! How does quzHii meHraab or meHraab e rang haa sound? They might catch on, you never know:)

21. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    As BP has already mentioned, dhanak is used in Urdu but not sure how common it is now. Certainly in our family we use. Perfectly good word! Come to think of it, we use it a little more than qaus e quzaHقوسِ قزح.

It is also listed in all Urdu dictionaries I've seen. There are two pronunciations of the original:
    دهنك धनुक dhanuk, धनकdhanak

In Urdu it is always seen in the latter form, dhanak. Interestingly, I’ve seen it more in poetry and even high prose than in common speech!

Here is the Wiki entry in Urdu for دهنك.

BP, I think I can see why you chose meHraab but wouldn’t kamaan be better given that a meHraab has a general shape more different than a kamaan to the rainbow. It (rainbow) actually doesn’t quite look like either, unless one is thinking of the fully-drawn Assyrian bow which made a perfect, smooth semi-circle; very much like a rainbow.

Looking up Platts I came across a really curious alternative. It mentions:

ʻalī-kī kamān, 'The bow of ʻAlī,' the rainbow

Now, even we never ever used this! I’m trying to remember if I’ve heard anybody use this. To be honest can’t recall anyone.

Edit:
    Just realised that the Wiki entry above mentions سترنگی کمان sathrangii kamaan! The only entry I found when I searched with سترنگ كمان sathrang kamaan.

22. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Thanks for your posts guys. Curious, is قوسِ قزح used in Persian as well?

23. mundiya Senior Member

Hindi, English, Punjabi
    The most common word in Hindi is "Indradhanush". "dhanush" and "dhanuk" are also used in Hindi for rainbow, but the primary meaning is bow.

Platts lists "boro" for rainbow. I haven't heard this word used for rainbow in Hindi or Punjabi. Is it used at all in Urdu?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  24. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I am not aware of this word for a rainbow in Urdu.

25. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Never heard it.