1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu: sar afriiN?

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by iskander e azam, Jul 26, 2013.

1. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    I would like to know the meaning of the word in bold from the following sentence: اس کے عضو بلور کی طرح ڈھلے ہوئے تھے۔ اس سے زیادہ سر آفریں جسمانی خوبصورتی دیکھنے میں نہیں آئی۔

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    sirr-aafriiN (mystery-creating)/mysterious

3. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    Q SaaHib, you are bearing the burden on my ignorance all on your own these days. :rolleyes: Please note that your help is very much appreciated.

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

I would n't term this as "ignorance" by any stretch of the imagination! However, it is you who are at a disadvantage because my words are no gospel and there is no one else to take me to task!:)

5. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Doesn't s2ir-secret-have a hamzah atop the word?

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

No, it is just sirr. No hamzah. (plural: asraar)

7. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Thanks.

8. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    As long as you have been posting so far I've come to associate you with all possible issues connected with aafriin :). I think after some time someone will be able to write a thesis on all possible combinations and permutations with aafriin. iskander e azam, aafriin aafriin! Of course QP SaaHib's explanation of sirr-aafriin is great unless there is an ommission of one word as happened in a previous post of yours. The word I have in my mind is.... dard.