Urdu: sarshaar-e-nigah-e-nargis huuN

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Chhaatr, May 25, 2013.

1. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    Given below are two lines from Majaaz Lakhnawi's "Ye mera chaman hai". The extract is from a website where the explanation of some words were also given as shown below. Even after this explanation I'm not clear on the second line especially the part in bold.

Ye mera chaman hai mera chaman, main apne chaman ka bulbul hun
    Sar-shaar-e-nigah-e-nargis hun, paa-basta-e-gesu-e-sumbul hun

(chaman: garden; bulbul: nightingale; sarshaar: overflowing, soaked; nigaah: sight; nargis: flower, Narcissus; paa-bastaa: embedded; gesuu: tresses; sumbul: a plant with a plesant scent)

Requesting Urdu speaking friends to help me understand this.

Many thanks!

2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    There are better knowers of poetry in the forum than me and they have better command of English so allow me to say something about Urdu.

The shi3r (couplet) is not really what the poet wrote. The first misra3 (verse) ought to be sar-shaar....

سرشارِ نگاہ ِنرگس ہوں، پابستہٴ گیسوئے سنبل ہوں
    یہ میرا چمن ہے میرا چمن، میں اپنے چمن کا بلبل ہوں​
    sunbul is not just a plant with pleasant scent but it is a View attachment 11788 which serves as a metaphor for ''locks, tresses of hair'' of the beloved naturally because of its resemblance.

3. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    The second verse implies like:
    I'm filled (overwhelmed) by [her] beautiful gaze (that is like Narcissus beauty) and spellbound by [her] cascading hair (that looks like a Sunbul flower).

4. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    ^ Thank you very much. It makes sense now. Is the second line in Persian?

5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    No, it is Urdu but in this case it has a great deal of mutual intelligibility. It is a kind of Urdu that used to be called rextah (Rekhta).

6. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    bahut shukriyah marrish SaaHib!