Urdu: Sic

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by iskander e azam, Jun 22, 2013.

1. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    In English, we use the world "sic" to draw attention to a mistake in quoted speech, such as a mis-spelling or poor diction/syntax:

Neil Armstrong, on landing on the moon, said, 'one small step for man [sic], one giant leap for mankind'. The use of sic draws attention to the fact that to be grammatically correct the sentence would need to read 'one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind'.

What word is used in Urdu for this function?

Replies much appreciated.

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    One word used for a usage of sic (erat scriptum) could be بعینہ | bi-ʻainihi.

3. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    ^ Yes! ... and other ways too:

Sic = یوں yuuN, یوں ہی yuuN hii, اس طرح isii TarH, بعینہ be-3ainihii, اسی طرح isii TarH, بالکُل اسی طرح bilkul isii TarH

Sic Passim = ہرجا بعینہ har jaa be-3ainihii, ہرجا اسی طرح har jaa isii TarH, بالکُل اسی طرح bilkul isii TarH , ہرجا یوں ہی har jaa yuuN hii , ہرجا یوں har jaa yuuN .

4. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    Could someone give me the words suggested in a sentence? Perhaps, a translation of Neil Armstrong's statement?

5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    yuuN for sic seems a good way to use it to me. Otherwise the Latin word can be perhaps used on its own. In case of pointing out to some inaccuracy or ridiculousness in the quoted text, I'm wondering whether it would be conveying the meaning better if we wrote: [yuuN hii darj hai!]: (but I don't know how to retain the lapsus in the Urdu translation!!! Let me use the noun ''mard'' instead of ''insaan or aadamii'') Actually there are voices that he did utter 'a'! http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/i...s-moon-landing-quote-really-a-misquote-375900

Neil Armstrong, on landing on the moon, said, 'one small step for man [sic], one giant leap for mankind'. The use of sic draws attention to the fact that to be grammatically correct the sentence would need to read 'one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind'.

"نیل آرمسٹرانگ نے چاند پر اُتر کر کہا تھا: (یہ) مرد
    (ہونہی درج ہے!) کے لیے ایک چھوٹا سا قدم، بنی نوعِ انسان کے لیے ایک نہایت بڑی جست

"nail aarmsTraaNg ne chaaNd par utar kar kahaa thaa: (yih) mard [yuuNhii darj hai!] ke liye ek chhoTaa saa qadam, banii nau3-e-insaan ke liye ek nihaayat baRii jast''

I am certain other friends can help making this sentence better.

6. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    It's been a while that we discussed it but I could remember it and it caught my attention when I read in a qualitative book the word for (sic). It is originally Arabic I suppose but I don't know about it's usage in that language. In the Urdu book from India it was (کذا). kazaa or kaazaa?

7. HZKhan

HZKhan Senior Member

Karachi, Pakistan
    Urdu e Mu'alla
  8. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you very much. The book in which I saw it was just two years old. Therefore it is recommendable to use it I think! On the other hand I think the longer replacements of the one-word-solution which we have tried above are also perfectly usable and accessible to all.

I wish to thank you for the link too. I tried to acces the loghat-e-dehxodaa on the proper site but it didn't seem to be working. vaazheyaab is a good place to go. I am still wondering why this word is not to be found in Urdu dictionaries and why one has to refer the Persian ones.

9. HZKhan

HZKhan Senior Member

Karachi, Pakistan
    Urdu e Mu'alla
  10. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, it is the word used in Arabic for (sic) and literally means "like this", as in "this is how it was used in the quoted text" or "it was used/mentioned like this in the quoted text", and it's pronounced kadhaa (dh=ذ).