Urdu: Souvenir

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by musa-ktk, Jan 15, 2013.

1. musa-ktk New Member

Pushto
    We all know souvenir is translated as yaadgar or soughat in Urdu, but long time ago, I read a more intriguing and well suited compound word for this term in Urdu. It was written in a a column in newspaper. To my despair, I can't find it anymore and can't recall the term. Could anyone please come up with better term for souvenir in Urdu?

For example : yaadgaar-e-makaan or yaad-dasht-e-waqt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    You don't have the word "armaGhaan" in mind, as in "armaGhaan-i-Hijaaz", do you?

3. musa-ktk New Member

Pushto
    that too can be used for souvenir in some context i guess... thanks for the reply, but i am particularly looking for a compund word,,, murakkab lafz

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    yaad-buud

rah-aavurd

5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    The most common word indeed for a souvenir is یادگار yaadgaar.

However, we use it in different ways, e.g.

یادگار چیز yaadgaar chiiz = a souvenir item / object.

ماضی کی یادگار maaDhii kii yaadgaar (OR yaadgaar-e-maaDhii) = A reminder of the past (lit.) - ماضی maaDhii = past.

For a souvenir gift:تحفہ یادگار tuHfa-e-yaadgaar / یادگاری تحفہ yaadgaarii tuHfah / هديہ يادگار hadya-e-yadgaar etc.

... and given the right context, we can use the word نشانی nishaanii as well for a souvenir, though I fully understand that you are specifcally looking for a compound (murakkab) word.

6. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^ Besides these, also yaad-gaarii on its own. I forgot how one can say ''forget-me-not'' in Urdu, maybe this is the word our new participant is after.

7. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    ... but yaad-gaarii = remembrance! yaad alone may also be used that way. i.e. remembrance.

8. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I understand and thanks for making the things clear. It is used by means of chopping off the preceding part, I believe, as in nishaanii-e-yaadgaarii. In the light of your post it appears to be unorthodox.

9. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    I would agree with this! We always use yaad-gaarii to mean remembrance.

10. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^ Good to have an agreement, my contribution was to point some colloquial usage for the benefit of this thread but I agree with you. yaad-gaarii indeed means remembrance. It is also very good to know that you are not familiar with such a usage. I was trying to act as a devil's advocate.

11. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Welcome, marrish SaaHib!