Urdu: tajribah?

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by iskander e azam, Jun 23, 2013.

1. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    The word tajribah has the normal meaning of "experience, experiment".

However, in the book I am reading I think the author is using it to mean "medical case".

ڈاکٹر موصوف نے اپنے دعوے کی تصدیق کے لیے لاکھوں تجربں میں سے چند ذکر کر کیا ے- ایک تجربہ یہاں بیان کیا جا رہا ہے۔

He then gives the detailed medical case history of an anonymous patient.

Is anyone familiar with the use of tajribah to mean 'medical case'?

Please note: I bring the difficult words here. I have used the free online Urdu dictionaries and am aware of the more common meanings of tajribah.

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Your sentence has one or two errors, I e A SaaHib.

...laakhoN tajriboN meN se chand kaa zikr kiyaa hai.

I think the intended meaning here is "tests", "examinations", "assays".

3. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    It is possible that tajribah here means practical proof.

4. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    The doctor, in order to verify his claim, mentioned a few cases from thousands. One is given here.

ڈاکٹر موصوف نے اپنے دعوے کی تصدیق کے لیے لاکھوں تجربں میں سے چند ذکر کر کیا ے- ایک تجربہ یہاں بیان کیا جا رہا ہے۔

(mauSoof appears to have no direct English translation and I have used 'given' for biyaan as it feel it is idiomatic in this particular context.

5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    IeA SaaHib, as QP SaaHib indicated earlier, the sentence contains a few typos. Apart from this, I hope you don't mind, do you, that I correct some minor points: NOT biyaan but bayaan, and Mausoof is a proper name here, correct me if I'm wrong.

The cases are his practical experience.

bayaan kiyaa jaa rahaa hai: is being given, described, narrated.

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

You have repeated the same mistakes in your Urdu sentence once again!

"The said doctor...".."The aforementioned doctor" (mausuuf = described/mentioned)

7. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Equally possible as my suggestion about a proper name. We will see what is the case.

8. Qureshpor Senior Member

​It appears that the good doctor is erring on the side of exaggeration..hundreds of thousands of experiments!

9. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Was it a medical doctor? 2. Perhaps the narrator is the culprit.

10. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    SaaHibaan, merii ghaltiyon mo3af kijiye-meiN adh raat se jaagta hua hooN-

11. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    SaaHib, yih baat to zaahir hai, aap ek paiGhaam do martabah irsaal kar baiThe haiN!

12. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    marrish SaaHib, you could be correct but I would go with QP SaaHib's explanation despite the wrong construct implied. This is a standard way of expressing the idea of ''aforementioned doctor'' in journalese Urdu!

ڈاکٹر ِ موصوف daakTar-e-mauSuuf is being implied in the same way as مصنّف ِ موصوف muSannif-e-mauSuuf is used, despite the former izaafat construct using a non-Perso-Arabic as a first term in the izaafat construct.

...and تجربہ tajribah can mean both experiment /an experimental test as well as experience. Here it means an experimental test.