Urdu: talaafi-e-______

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Context: the song دیکھو چراغِ جام from خلش : (YT @ 2:27: KHALISH=DEKHO CHARAGH E JAAM jALE RAAT HO GAYEE YouTube)

Please fill in the blank: har dard ki talaafi-e-________ ho ga'ii ; ma'afaat...?

2. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    The word is maafaat مافات, lest my ears not serve me right.

Here is Ghaalib:

دے داد اے فلک! دلِ حسرت پرست کی
    ہاں کچھ نہ کچھ تلافیِ مافات چاہیے

de daad e falak! dil-e-Hasrat parast kii (ko)
    haaN kuchh nah kuchh
    talaafii-ye-maafaat chaahiye

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I think Alfaaz SaaHib was conducting a hearing test. It seems you have passed it with flying colours! kyaa achchhaa hotaa agar aap is lafz ke ma3ne bhii hameN bataa dete.

4. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    :)! guzre hu'e vaaqi3aat yaa jo hamaare uupar guzraa!

5. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    Great, I learned a new Urdu word today!

Then it just clicked in my mind that it actually is the Arabic phrase: ما فات maa faat (lit. 'what was missed') from the verb فات یفُوتُ (faat / yafuutu), which means to be missed ; such as in the famous colloquial Arabic saying: اللي فات مات al lii faat maat. (Look at this thread), in which اللي al lii is a colloquial equivalent to ما maa. Some say ما فات مات (maa faat maat). By the way the verbal noun (maSdar) of this verb, is فوت which is used in Urdu in expressions such as فوت ہو جانا۔

ما فات maa faat is more than merely 'what happened in the past', it also hints at 'missed opportunities'.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  6. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks for the replies everyone (and the information about origin Cilquiestsuens SaaHib)!
    Interesting! That adds more depth to the lyrics of the song and explains the situation of the song and film better.

7. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    You are welcome.

I think this 'missed opportunity' meaning is also the one intended in the verse of Ghalib quoted by marrish Sahab above (as hinted at by the word 'hasrat'.)

8. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Would this be appropriate: مافات پر رونے اور پچھتانے سے کیا حاصل؟ حال کو سنوارو and (مافات ہوتا ہے ، ہوتی ہے یا پھر ہوتے ہیں (یعنی جمع guessing its the last one (hote haiN)...?

9. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Alfaaz SaaHib, if I said to you, think in terms of "maa-jaraa" (What happened/incident), would this help? Obviously maa-faat(a), for the purposes of Urdu ends in a consonant and therefore it would serve the purpose of both singular and plural.

10. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    We can guess from my answer which is quoted above that it should be masculine singular (and plural).

11. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Alfaaz SaaHib, if I may have your attention, please listen to a song on YT [kuch iss ada se aaj woh (Abida Parveen)], with the relevant part from 7:22, but I hope you can enjoy the whole Ghazal.