Urdu:temporary

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by omlick, Dec 26, 2012.

1. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    Hi, what is the most popular word for "temporary" in Urdu. The online dictionary gives عارضی.

Thanks in advance

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I believe this is the most frequently used word for "temporary".

3. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    I agree. This carries the connotation of "provisional" though. You are looking for that, and not "ephemeral", yes?

4. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    omlick SaaHib/-ah, Please let us know a possible *context* you wished to use this word otherwise there'd be no end to the speculations. Thank you.

5. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    Although not one for one, but another way to express ephemeral meaning, is to say 'waqtii taur pe/par'. As in, skuul meN aag lagne ki wajhe se waqtii taur pe klaaseN kamyuuniTii sentar meN hoNgii.

6. omlick Senior Member

Portland, Oregon, USA
    American English
    Yes, temporary as opposed to "permanent" such as a job or situation. I think that is what I wanted.

shukriyah

7. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you. Indeed, 3aarzii عارضی and waqtii وقتی are the most frequently used. A bit less so is haNgaamii ہنگامی which is also a good word.

8. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    3aarDhii / waqtii mulaazimat = temporary employment, yes! May be also ضمنی Dhimnii (= Incidental / non-permanent / provisional) but haNgaamii? I don't think so. It is a nice word but not appropriate here! It is most often used with the following meaning:

ہنگامی امداد haNgaamii imdaad (=Emergency aid ) / ہنگامی حالت haNgaamii Haalat (= Emergency situation ) - emergency, not temporary.

9. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you Faylasoof SaaHib for adding this information, otherwise my post would have created a wrong impression. Indeed, as you correctly indicated, haNgaamii is at present most of the time used to describe something of a nature of an emergency, that is lasting for a short period of time. I'm sure you are aware of the meaning of haNgaam in both Urdu and Persian. By the time of Platts the ''emergency'' meaning was yet to be known. There is even an entry for haNgaamii in Platts:

P هنگامي hangāmī [hangām+ī = S. इन्], adj. Temporal, ephemeral.

Unfortunately there is no trace of this word in Farhang-e-Aasafiyyah which I have also given a look.

Of course this word is not widely used, as I hinted at in the previous post, in this meaning.

Another word, a variation of the previously given by UM SaaHib, is موقت, as in نکاح موقت.

All having been said, 3aarzii is the winner!

10. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    That would be an adverb, ''temporarily''. Very widely used, you're absolutely right.

11. Qureshpor Senior Member

But this meaning is listed in "Nur-ul-Lughaat".

12. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^Thank you. May we have an excerpt too?

13. Qureshpor Senior Member

haNgaamii (F) chand roz kaa, xaas vaqt tak kaa

From Dehkhoda: Please see the last part. Opposite of permanent

هنگامی . [ هََ ] (ص نسبی ) ترجمه ٔ خلق الساعه است ، یعنی جانوری که درساعت موجود شود همچو پشه و مگس و مانند آن . (برهان ). ضد همیشگی

14. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^Thank you again!