Urdu: the tiger is king of the beasts of the jungle

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Jabir, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Jabir

Jabir Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    Salams

I'm having troubles with this sentence. Can some please give some tips on my translation?

Original (English): The tiger is the king of the beasts of the jungle
    My Urdu attempt: sher jungle ki wehshiOn jaanvar ka badshah hay.

thanks in advance :)

2. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    "Sher" is a lion, though, and indeed it is the lion that is the king of the jungle, not the tiger. A tiger by the way is "baagh".

If you do want to persist with tiger, since your original sentence has a tiger and not a lion,
    "Baagh jangal ke jaanvaroN ka shehenshah hai."
    You could also replace "jangal ke jaanvaroN" with "jangalii jaanvaroN".

3. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Sher/baaGH/cheetah jungli haiwaanaat ka badshah hai

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو

Would there not be anarchy if any of the three contestants could be "king of the jungle", especially when "sher" has been given this enviable position since time immemorial?

5. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    :); Since the question asked for tiger in English and listed sher for Urdu, I thought why not just list all three...!

6. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Why didn't you include "tenduaa" as well ... :D

7. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Maybe they should all start having elections, pick a different baadshah each time, that makes the rest his vuzaraa!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Although, most likely a baagh could easily kill a sher. par sher baagh se bahaadur hai . isilie haq milaa ..

9. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    This is beginning to sound like a vertebrate zoology discussion!:D or maybe a new course could be made, Jungle Politics 101!

10. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    وعليكم السلام
    Others have given helpful notes on which words are better for the translation but I would like to address the grammar in your translation.

Let's try to form the sentence from the ground up:

sher jaanvaroN kaa baadshaah hai.
    sher jangal ke jaanvaroN kaa baadshaah hai. // ke not kii, because jaanvar is masculine.
    sher jangal ke waHshii jaanvaroN kaa baadshaah hai.

Note that waHshii remains singular. Furthermore it is not declined because it is unmarked. If you wish to use it as a noun (meaning "a savage"), then you would have

sher jangal ke waHshiyoN ka baadshaah hai. = The lion is the king of the savages of the jungle.

If you had a marked adjective like baRaa (big), then you would have

sher jangal ke baRe jaanvaroN ka baadshaah hai. = The lion is the king of the big animals of the jungle.

11. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    This reminds me of my school! We were made to repeat this ad nauseam:

sher jangal kaa baadshaah hai!

BTW, some lexicons will tell you that baagh / baaghaa is tiger and sher is lion but the more you look up the more of a mix it appears!

Here is Platts:

باگهہ बाघ bāgh, = H باگها बाघा bāghā, [S. व्याघ्रः Prk. वक्वो, वग्घो], s.m. Tiger (syn. sher); lion.H باگها बाघा bāghā, = H باگهہ बाघ bāgh, [S. व्याघ्रः Prk. वक्वो, वग्घो], s.m. Tiger (syn. sher); lion.
    P ببر babar [Zend bawri; S. babhru], s.m. Lion; tiger (syn. sher-babar).

There are also:
    ارسلان arslān, s.m. A lion; a man's surname.
    A اسد asad, s.m. Lion (syn. siṅh); Leo (the sign of the Zodiac)

But these we normally don't use in common speech. Poetry, yes!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  12. Jabir

Jabir Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    Wassalamu alaykum, daee SaaHib :)

Thank you and faylasoof SaaHib of every other SaaHib who contributed to this thread
    I understood it now! :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  13. darush Senior Member

it is accepted that, lion is the king of the jungle but in my opoinion is not because:
    first, lion lives in groves and sparsely forested and vast areas not in jungle, where the tiger do.
    second, tigers are larger and more powerful.

14. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    If size were to determine powers-to-be, then there wouldn't be Napoleons and Hitlers, et al.

Lions look majestic, especially the male lion with his mane. That's why they have been always called king of the jungle. Anyway, all this is off topic.

15. darush Senior Member

Napoleon was short.