1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. WARNING: The forums will close for maintenance for around 20 minutes starting at 9:30am US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 3:30pm in most of Europe).

Urdu: to fold clothes

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by ihsaan, Jan 19, 2013.

1. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Hi,
    So I asked someone how to say that I´ve folded clothes (today), and I´m not sure if I got it right. It sounded something like:

"Main ne kaproN ki tha laga di hai." ... Or something similar. Could someone help me out with this sentence?

Thank you.

2. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    teh lagaana. teh is a word meaning also layer. I unfortunately hear a lot: fold karna

3. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Thank you for your reply. Would you mind writing the sentence out in full?

4. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    Interesting. We say 'teh kar diye haiN' in my family.

5. UrduMedium Senior Member

United States
    Urdu (Karachi)
    ^ Same for me.

6. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    I've heard tahaanaa too.

7. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Interesting. Thank you for your replies. So one option would be: "MaiN ne kaproN ki teh kar diye haiN"?

8. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Perhaps, tah lagaanaa is to put them in a pile. tah karnaa would be "to fold".

9. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    ^ I agree with this! tah (pronounced taih!) lagaanaa = to layer, while tah (taih) karnaa = to fold.
    ... and there is also tah (taih) jamaanaa with a meaning closer to the former.

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

maiN ne kapRe tah kar diye haiN.

11. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Interesting, BP SaaHib! I must say we never use it like this, i.e. "maiN kapRe tahaane ja rahaa huuN" but do say "maiN kapRe tahne (taihne) jaa rahaa huuN!", where the truncated tahnaa (rather than tahaanaa) is being used in speech. I do know that the verb tahaanaa = tah (taih) karnaa is bona fide Urdu but for some reason it is hardly used in the (educated) circles I've been moving in!

12. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Thank you for all your replies! Very helpful.

:thumbsup: Thank you!

13. Abu Talha

Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    Is it طے کرنا or تہ کرنا? I always thought it was the former but your replies seem to indicate the latter.

14. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    It is تہ کرنا or even better, تہہ کرنا!

15. amiramir Senior Member

English-USA
    I would have used मोड़ देना mod dena i.e. Main ne kapde mod diye (hain). Is this not correct?

16. Qureshpor Senior Member

This would mean "I have bent the clothes". "moR denaa" is "to bend" (give something a bend/ a twist).

vuh afsaanah jise anjaam tak laanaa nah ho mumkin
    use ek xuubsuurat moR de kar chhoRnaa achchhaa!

The story which can not be brought to a proper end
    It ought to be given a beautiful twist and left there

Sahir Ludhianvi

17. amiramir Senior Member

English-USA
    Oh, thanks for the correction. I have a maasi in India who says kapde modo -- for 'fold the clothes,' but I come from a rather anglophile family, so it could be that her Hindi is just poor.

18. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Some people of Punjabi background say ikaTThe karnaa but again, it is not precise what is meant by ''to fold clothes'', however it may contain this connotation.

19. Afsar Senior Member

Pakistan
    Pashto
    میں نے کپڑوں کو تہہ لگادی ہے

20. Qureshpor Senior Member

In Punjabi, we say "kapRe ThapNRaa" (to fold clothes). "ikaTThe karnaa" would be "to gather" or t"to collect" (same as jam3 karnaa). I have n't heard this for folding clothes.

21. Qureshpor Senior Member

Afsar SaaHib, are you using this sentence to convey the concept of"folding clothes"? And, welcome to the forum, Afsar SaaHib.

22. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, this is for Punjabi, but kapRe ikaTThe karnaa was heard by me from a Punjabi speaker in Urdu - and of course you are right about the meaning.

23. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Actually, میں نے کپڑوں کو *تہ لگادی ہے is not correct, I’m afraid! This میں نے کپڑوں کی *تہ لگادی ہے on the other hand is correct but with a different meaning.

تَہ كرنا * tah (pronounced taih) karnaa = تَہنا \ تَہانا tahnaa (taihnaa) / tahaanaa = to fold

[* Original spelling! ]

میں نے کپڑوں کی تہ لگائی ہے conveys the meaning of layering or even laying at the bottom of something.

میں نے کپڑے تَہ كیئے \ كر دیے or میں نے كپڑے تہے = I folded the clothes.

تہ بچھانا tah (taih) bichhaanaa = to layer the bottom of something with something
    تہ لگانا tah (taih) lagaanaa = to layer / put layers (not to fold)

24. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    ^I agree. This is my understanding also.