1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu: to look forward to

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by ihsaan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Hi,
    If I want to express that I look forward to something, would it be correct to use the verb: "intizaar karnaa"?

Main chutti ka intizaar par kar rehi hooN. (I´m looking forward to the holidays).

What about if I am chatting with someone and you want to express that you look forward to chatting again, or just in general looking forward to something. E.g:

Person 1: I need to go now. Talk to you soon.
    Person 2: Looking forward to it!

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Person 1. mujhe ab jaanaa hai. phir baat ho gii.
    Person 2. betaabii se intizaar rahe gaa

Person 2's reply implies a degree of impatience, something equivalent to "I can't wait to..". "be-taabii" is "restlessness".

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    میں چشم براہ ہوں maiN chashm ba-raah huuN.

4. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Thank you! :thumbsup:

5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ihsaan SaaHibah, let me congratulate you on the correct form of this word which some people on this forum and not only, under influence of other languages give as ''intazaar''. Keep up the good work!

Edit: I've just noticed something in your sentence which sounds doubtful.
    maiN chhuTTii kaa intizaar par kar rahii huuN

Could you please explain your train of thought please? Then it will be possible that we will create a ''learning experience''.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  6. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I wouldn't necessarily use it in a chat on the net though, it is a bit ''good language'', but why not!

Another variant of the idea is shown in this thread of this forum, but it is written in a language I don't know!

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1017602

(Well, I can make out the meaning!)

Panjabigator SaaHib, maybe it is the time to come back and tell us more???!!!

7. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Another possible option: منتظر - muntazir!

8. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole

Could we also say besabrii se in Urdu?

9. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Thank you for your kind comment and help.

To be honest, not much thought went into it. I found the verb "intizaar karnaa", and asked someone if I had to use a preposition together with this verb.

10. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    I like the sound of that; expressing it like an exclamation. :thumbsup:

11. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    It is correct that a postposition has to be used with this verb, but it is only ''kaa'' in this case, which is already there in your sentence so ''par'' is not needed and also not applicable in case of this verb.

... kaa intizaar karnaa not ... *par intizaar karnaa.

12. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Okay. :thumbsup: Thank you for that helpful correction, Marrish saahib.

13. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Not sure if this information will help you, but intizaar karnaa is actually a compound verb made up of two parts.

intizaar is a masculine noun meaning: a waiting or an expectation. karna is the actual verb meaning "to do".
    So intizaar karnaa literally means "to do a waiting". I'm sure you have seen before that "kaa" is a way of linking one or more nouns
    to show a relationship. Examples: ihsaan kaa kaan ('ihsaan's ear', or alternatively 'the ear of ihsaan'), lahore kaa baadshaah (the king of lahoore/lahore's king)
    lakRii kaa darvaazaa (door of wood)

So kaa is actually doing the same thing here to show a relationship between chhuTTi and intizaar.
    In other words "chhuTTi kaa intizaar" means "the waiting for the leave/holiday". We used kaa instead of kii because intizaar is masculine.
    If we add "karnaa" to that, we have: (chhuTTi kaa intizaar karnaa )"to do 'the waiting for the leave/holiday".

Many verbs composed of a noun and karnaa follow this pattern, but they never explain it that way in Hindi/Urdu books that I have seen.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  14. hindiurdu Senior Member

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    Depends on how much you're looking forward to it. You could also say "maiN chhuTTi tak ke din gin rahii huuN" - I am counting the days until the holidays. "Besabri se din gin rahii huuN" - impatiently counting the days.

15. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    It is a good explanation.

ihsaan SaaHibah, please note that ''a door'' in Urdu is darvaazah دروازہ.

@tonyspeed: When you wrote "If we add "karnaa" to that, we have: (chhuTTi kaa intizaar karnaa )"to do 'the waiting for the leave/holiday", I believe the same reason is at play why ihsaan wrote ''par'', that is the preposition which governs the verb ''to wait'' in English and respectively maybe in Norwegian, as some Germanic languages that I know use the preposition ''on''.

I'd rephrase this sentence like this: to do 'the waiting of the holidays' (note that chuTTii would be in English 'holidays' not a holiday)

16. Stranger_ Senior Member

UAE
    Persian (Iran)
    Qureshpor jii

Why have you written "rahe gaa"? Should it not be "rahuuN gaa" since Person 2 is talking about his looking forward to chatting and not somebody's elses?

---

Could "مشتاقانه" be used in Urdu? In Persian, we say: "مشتاقانه منتظر ملاقات با شما هستم ~ I passionately/wholeheartedly look forward to meeting you". Does this construction exist in Urdu too? [مشتاقانه منتظر چیزی بودن], or at least by using "ishtiyaaq se" instead of "mushtaaqaanah"?

---

Toneyspeed jii

Am I correct in thinking that:
    "kisii chiiz kaa intizaar karnaa" means "to wait for something"
    and
    "kisii kaa intizaar karnaa" means "to wait for someone"?

17. ihsaan Senior Member

Norwegian
    Tonyspeed SaaHib, with this thread having resurfaced, I realised I had not seen your helpful answer. Thank you very much for that thorough explanation on this matter.

18. eskandar Moderator

English (US)
    Here is Panjabigator SaaHib's Spanish translation rendered in English, just to keep the chain of translations going: "'I am continuously waiting for you. When I hear footsteps, I think you've arrived.' Here the word 'raah' means 'path' or 'road.'"