Urdu: translation of breakthrough

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by BP., Aug 26, 2013.

1. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Good day,
    I am looking to translate this word 'breakthrough' into Urdu. Thanks for helping me with this.
    BP

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    pesh-raft is the word that readily comes to mind although I concede that it is mainly employed for "progress".

3. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Depending on the context, either of these: عبور مرحلہ / اہم دریافت

4. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    Thanks for the replies.

I think of breakthrough in a single sense, not two, i.e. coming unstuck in your problem. Faylasoof's second suggestion is appropriate in this context.

5. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    I agree that daryaaft is not enough. I would even add more stress and say something like faisla-kun daryaaft.

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    In the same vein we can also say qaT3ii daryaaft !

7. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    BP. SaaHib I must admit I did not get what you were after. Provided there is no specific context the translation needs to be at least usable in several settings where the English word would be. Anything with daryaaft seems to me too limited. F. SaaHib's second one sounds good but taken into account several different languages I know something of, all of them use combinations of basic vocabulary. For this, I remeber there was a thread I could not be part of so I can't locate it but it was a discussion about "through" - like pulling a thread through a pipe?? Anyway, I don't think there was a consensus. For "break" the ovious stock seems to be "toR" but perhaps "moR" could fit better?