1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu: Usage and meaning of suffix paziir پذير

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Sheikh_14, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    My purpose here is to enquire the meaning of the suffix Paziir which most probably has found its way from Farsi. Is it similar to the word yaftah suggesting one posesses something or can it be used also as the english commensurate of able as Qureshpor Saab Seems to suggest in http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2191652. Or was he merely experimenting and if so i would appreciate its meaning preferably with context.

Tashokar, Shukran and Shukria!

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Sheikh SaaHib, the suffix "paziir" is indeed from Persian, in fact from the verb "paziiruftan" (qubuul karnaa). Please note that the word is with a "zaal" and not a "ze", one of very few Persian words containing a zaal although there was a time when zaal-words were in abundence in the Persian language.

There are many examples in Urdu:

dil-paziir (acceptable to the heart/pleasant), zavaal-paziir (accepting decline/degradable/perishable) etc

If you were in receipt of a parcel and on it was the word شکن پذیر, you should have no hesitation in decoding it as "breakable" or the usual "fragile".

P پذير paẕīṛ, piẕīr, part. adj. (from paẕīruftan, 'to take,' &c., see next), Taking, receiving, accepting, admitting; being possessed of or endowed with, capable (of), susceptible, liable (used as the last member of

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  3. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

Shukria Qureshpor apkay bawaqt jawab kay liye. So could ilaj-paziir be used for receiving treatment i.e. under treatment also denoted as zehr e ilaj ?

4. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    ^ اعلاج پذیر could also probably mean one who is improving due to/responding to/accepting treatment...following the pattern of دوا پذیر...or treatable, curable.

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Alfaaz SaaHib has already mentioned that 3ilaaj-paziir means "curable". A bit of irony in your "zehr e ilaaj"! :) This equates to "Poison of/for cure"! I suspect you meant to write "zer e ilaaj".

6. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

So essentially could rehaish-paziir (residing) also equate to qabil e rehaish (liveable) based upon context given?