1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu: variant - version - account

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Sheikh_14, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    The purpose of this thread is to puzzle out the urdu equivalent of the word account in the form of one's rendition of a past occurrence i.e. all five witnesses gave their accounts of the crime scene.

Secondly a synonym for version would be much appreciated, as this is his version/variant of the story.

2. Abu Talha

Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    Perhaps رِوايت?

3. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    gavaahii / shahaadat or a less technical word, bayaan (plural: bayaanaat).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I would go along with "bayaan" for account as in police jargon this would imply a statement too. I think the same word should suffice for "version".

5. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Apart from the context discussed above, what words would be appropriate to translate version in the following situations/meanings?

This is an unabridged version of the book.
    The updated version of this program has these additional features.
    An electronic trial version is being offered for free.
    Do you think the television drama version did justice to the classic Urdu novel?

6. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Giving the OP's context, I agree it should be bayaan!

7. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    For the book one, depending on the context, you might just say: ishaa3at or eDishan or nuskhaa.

I have no clue for the other ones, I guess most Urdu speakers would go for varZhan (ورژن
    )

Any ideas?

8. Sheikh_14 Senior Member

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    Well anyone have a take on cilqueiestsuens final post which is an answer to Faylasoof's apt additional question?

9. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    ^ Actually I didn't really ask a question and Cilquiestsuens Sb. seems to be answering Alfaaz Sb. However, we should discuss this topic further and I do agree with the former's suggestions as stated so there really is not much to add other than try translate the sentences offered above.

In (very) formal Urdu one might refer to , say, an electronic version / edition / print of a book as كتاب كا برقی نسخہ \ كی برقی اشاعت \ چھاپ kitaab kaa barqii nusxah / kii barqii ishaa3at / chhaap etc. With this is in mind I have these suggestions just from the top of my head:

This is an unabridged version of the book.
    یہ كتاب كا غیر مختصر \ كامل نسخہ ہے \ كی غیر مختصر \ كامل اشاعت \ چھاپ ہے
    yeh kitaab kaa Ghair muxtaSar / kaamil nusxah hae / kii Ghair muxtaSar / kaamil ishaa3at / chhaap hae

The updated version of this program has these additional features.
    برنامہ \ برنامے كے تجدید شدہ نسخہ \ نسخے میں یہ مزید سہولتیں ہیں \ پائی جاتی ہیں \ موجود ہیں.
    barnaameh / barnaame ke tajdiid shudah nusxeh / nusxe meN yeh suhuulateN haiN/ paa'ii jaatii haiN / maujuud haiN

An electronic trial version is being offered for free.
    ایك مفت آزمائشی برقی نسخہ پیش ِ خدمت ہے \ جاری كیا گیا ہے
    ek muft aazmaa'ishii barqii nusxah pesh-e-xidmat hae / jaarii kiyaa gayaa hae - the latter would be back-translated into English as: has been issued.

Do you think the television drama version did justice to the classic Urdu novel?
    كیا آپ كے خیال میں \ آپ كے نزدیك ٹی وی \ تلفازی \ دور درشنی ناٹك \ ڈرامے كی اشاعت \ كا نشر اردو كی كلاسیكی ناول كو زیب دیتی ہے \ دیتا ہے \ \ كی اشاعت \ كے نشر نے اردو كی كلاسیكی ناول كا حق ادا كیا ہے
    kyaa aap ke xayaal meN / aap ke nazdiik TiiWii (TiiVii) / tilfaazii / duurdarshanii naaTak /Draame kii ishaa3at / kaa nashr urduu kii kilaasiikii naawil ko zeb detii /detaa hae // kii ishaa3at / ke nashr ne urduu kii kilaasiikii naawil kaa Haqq adaa kiyaa hae

There are of course other ways to say all of the above, but hopefully these shall provide a glimpse as to what we can say.

10. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Apart from the ones you have already listed (which seem appropriate for books), متون is also listed here. However, this or nusxah don't seem to work for something like remixed version of a song...naghme/gaane ka nusxah!?

11. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Quite obviously going from one language to another means that we shall not have a word-for-word match for a particular meaning we are looking for and the online Urdu dictionary entry is not quite correct since :

a) متون mutuun is the plural of متن matn

and

b) متن matn means this:
    A متن matn, vulg. matan (inf. n. of متن 'to strike,' &c.), s.m. Text (of a book);—middle (of a road, or book, or piece of cloth, &c.)'.

This is the most common usage.

In Urdu, re-mixed or mixed = ملا جلا , ملی جلی milaa-julaa , milii-julii / مخلوط maxluuT

So one could say:
    مخلوط متن \ مخلوط المتن \ ملا جلا متن نغمہ \ گیت
    maxluuT matn / maxluuT-ul-matn / milaa-julaa matn naGhmah / giit

But as I understand it, in English, the term re-mix for songs doesn't necessarily mean that the text has been edited / re-edited. I'm not sure as I only haunt the classical music scene! But if this is the case, then we needn't even bring in the word matn here. If a remix song is a re-edited song to sound different then perhaps this:

نئے سرے سے مرتب كردہ \ مرتب كیا ہوا نغمہ \ گیت
    na'e sire se murattab kardah / murattab kiyaa huwaa naGhmah / giit

We could search music sites in Urdu to see if any standard expression is being used for this. But given the present trend I doubt if anybody has even bothered to come with an Urdu expression for re-mixed version of a song.

Most likely they'd use an Urduish expression like: naGhme / giit kaa riimiksd varshan / varzhan.

12. Cilquiestsuens Senior Member

French
    I think that for naghmah / giit / gaanaa, etc... the word andaaz rather than nuskhah could pretty much overlap a few meanings of version.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  13. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    For version, one can use shakl/suurat/ruup

is nazm ke do ruup haiN. ek vuh jo faiz kii "nusxah-haa-i-vafaa" meN hai aur duusraa jise malikah-i-tarannum ne gaayaa hai.

This poem has two versions. One that is included in Faiz's "nusxah-haa-i-vafaa" and the other that the Melody Queen has sung.

14. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Also these : طرز Tarz, اسلوب usluub, طریقہ Tariiqah

naGmah / giit ek na'e Tarz se gaayaa / bayaaN kiyaa etc. - if we are talking about a new version / manner.

15. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    As pointed out by others, bayaan is the key word, which is versatile and can be used in different contexts. In the context of a story which is retold, and in the context of witnesses' accounts of a crime, both shahaadat and gavaahii are just perfect, with the remark that shahaadat is a more technical term (legal). Other word which has not yet been mentioned is zabaanii. - totally non-technical. Another one could be ruudaad - fits perfectly for all uses but perhaps not so in vogue. In legal terms one could be tended to go for da3waa.