Urdu: "Welcome", and "Welcome To The Club"

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Todd The Bod, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Todd The Bod Senior Member

Ngo hai ni doh
    English-Midwest
    How do you say "welcome" and "welcome to the club" in Urdu?

2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    The most common way to say welcome in Urdu, taken from Farsi, is:

خُوش آمدید xush aamadiid!

In Urdu, club = انجمن anjuman / بزم bazm / کلب - borrowed from English of course and pronounced as klab or kilab by some!

The exact translation of welcome to the club might require more context given that sometimes we say welcome to the club / join the club when we all end up in the same boat due to whatever circumstances. But I shall assume here that a straight, more or less literal translation is required. So one can say:

is anjuman / bazm / klab mei.n xush aamadiid !

Instead of xush aamadiid خُوش آمدید you can also use xayr maqdam خير مقدم.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  3. Todd The Bod Senior Member

Ngo hai ni doh
    English-Midwest
    Thank you, Faylasoof. I've seen the word "anjuman" before, but never knew what it meant. Maybe it was the title of a Bollywood film or something. Anyway though, since you mention it, what would it be for when we all end up in the same boat due to whatever circumstances? If you don't mind.

4. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    I think انجمن can also mean 'society,' no?

5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Yes PG! A society of professionals. artists, poets etc. can form an anjuman. Actually the word has fairly broad usage.
    Well, anjuman can be used in more than one way! As we are discussing above, it also means a society in terms of a group with similar interests, like the well-known RSPCA, and not samaaj.

Well, there is no fixed expression for this! But one can say either jokingly or sarcastically:

xush aamadiid! aa2iyye! aa2iyye! hamaarii anjuman mei.n shariik / shaamil ho2iyye

This can be taken as the equivalent of the English expression: Welcome! Join the Club!