Urdu: What is my accent?

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by iskander e azam, Jun 22, 2013.

1. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    I am using the Practical Standard Twentieth Century Dictionary (Urdu into English) compiled by Professor Bashir Ahmad Qureshi and revised and enlarged by Dr Abdul Haq. It was published in Delhi.

I use its pronunciation guide. Where it gives a colloquial pronunciation alongside the standard one I use the colloquial though I consistently pronounce the Arabic qaaf. When I come across a word not found in this print medium I use the pronunciation given in www.urduencyclopedia.org.

I do not use the Dehlavi ve as the plural of voh so myUrdu is not Dehlavi and I pronounce "au" as well as "o" so it is not Pakistani Urdu (which would fail to distinguish between rozah (a fast) and rauDhah (a mausoleum, a shrine)).

Please note my depiction of Pakistani Urdu is based on my contact with British Asians of Pakistani heritage and their spoken Urdu.

So, what is my accent?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I am not sure all Delhi Urdu speakers use "ve" as the plural for "vuh". Certainly even as early as Mirza Asadullah Khan Ghalib, "ve" had disappeared in the literary language. If you have had the pleasure of meeting Pakistanis from the length and breadth of Pakistan, even then one can not really call it "Pakistani Urdu". Urdu, whether spoken in India or Pakistan will differ depending on the geographical location, origins and educational level of its speakers. The main Urdu regions of India are also represented amongst Pakistani speakers of Urdu because they have originated from those areas or their parents have. Then there is the Urdu of educated Punjabi, Sindhi, Balochi, Kashmiri and Paxtuun speakers.

Your accent? It could be any one of these accents, possibly mixed with your native English. And there is no one native English accent!

Make a recording of your voice, preferably a Mohammed Rafi song :))) and send it to a few of the Urdu speakers on the forum. It might be easier to make some sort of judgement then.

3. iskander e azam Senior Member

English
    This is a good idea. I will have to think of a suitable text from which to read.

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    If a Rafi song is out of the question, then how about a section from "marHuum kii yaad meN" by "Patras Bukhari".

http://patrasbokhari.com/content/marhoom-ki-yaad-main

5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    And this is very admirable.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  6. gagun Senior Member

TS,india
    Telugu-TS, Deccani-TS
    The varying forms for the 3rd pn. dir. constitute one of the small number of grammatical differences between Hindi and Urdu. yah "this" / ye "these" / vah "that" / ve "those" is the literary set for Hindi while ye "this, these" / vo "that, those" is the set for Urdu and spoken (and also often written) Hindi.
    sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustani_grammar