1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Urdu: xudaawand, khudaawand

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by tonyspeed, Mar 5, 2012.

1. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Does the word xudaawand only refer to God in Urdu or are there other uses for this word?

2. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    The dictionary gives the following meanings: "Owner, possessor, master, lord; husband; my Lord; your lordship; sir"

Question:
    It seems to be also used (not sure) to refer to Jesus (pbuh) by Christian brothers and sisters........again, not sure about this.....? or maybe the phrase they used is "khudaawand ke beta"....so khudaawand is being used for God?

3. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Tony SaaHib, the short answer to your question is that "xudaavand" did have more meanings than just "God" and it would be fair to say that in the modern language the meaning is gradually converging towards depicting the Almighty. Here is a little more detailed reply to your question.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....dc16b7f?lnk=gst&q=khudaavand#075e7008adc16b7f

4. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    I believe the term kurios as found in Greek and translated in English as lord (not necessarily related to God) is usually translated xudaawand.

I guess my question is in modern Urdu, could we use the term xudaawand for a king, ruler or master and it not seem strange? Or would malik be the more appropriate term?

-- I see now QP has answered my question above :

5. Jabir

Jabir Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    I don't know if this is too off-topic, but what is the difference between these mentioned words and "Allah"?
    "Allah" is used only by Muslims or they also use Xuda?

Thanks!

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Muslims (from the Subcontinent) use Allah, xudaa, rab, parvardigaar, maalik, maulaa, ilaahii (my God) and many more.

7. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    khudaa is very common, and irrevocably part of some expressions. Allaah is used, as far as by know, from where I am, by both Muslims and Christians.

8. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    We still have the naa khudaa, as we discussed in another thread earlier this week, who is the khudaa of the naa2u i.e. the ship's captain. Other uses have dwindled, and Hazrat QP's link might reveal some treasures.

9. souminwé Senior Member

Vancouver, Canada
    North American English, Hindi
    Xudaavand is used in the Urdu Bible to translate Lord and LORD (Jehova). Hence the phrase xudaavand xuda "The Lord God". I suppose it just became the Christian word of preference for "God".

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  10. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, you are right, in modern Urdu we use it for God only.

11. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    xudaa can be used for other gods as well.

12. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    If khudaa could be used for lord then I'll have reason to shorten my favorite appellation maanand ee khudaawand to khudawand alone to my local lord...
    Thanks for the idea.

13. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Very nice information. I was thinking of applying your non-discriminatory approach to vowels while transliterating but let me say that here it is not the case of pronouncing it long.

14. BP. Senior Member

Karachi
    Urdu
    I know. 3aadat see majbuur in spelling!

15. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I think your method is right. We do have many short e and short o in Urdu! Just the common izaafat. I'm going to change my manner of transliteration from now on.

16. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Yes, this is exactly how kurios would be translated – as xudaawand,but also xudaawandigaar, btw.

17. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Let us not forget dah-xudaa / deh-xudaa!

Anyway, here is more from Hazrat-e-Ghaalib and his the use of xudaawand, xudaawandigaar and xudaa in his less well-known religious poetry:

xudaa kii raah meN shaahii-o-xusrawii kaisii
    kaho keh rahbar-e-diin-e-xudaa kaheN us ko

xudaa kaa bandah xudawandigaar bandoN kaa
    agar kaheN nah xudaawand kyaa kaheN us ko

Here he is using xudaawand and xudawandigaar both for Imam al-Husain, the Prophet’s younger grandson. xudaawand and xudawandigaar both mean lord, master, nobleman. Their Arabic equivalents would be sayyid and shariif. Ghalib uses Imam al-Husain’s siyaadah (siyaadat, in Urdu and Persian) and his character and stance in the face of adversity to call him xudaawand and xudawandigaar.

NB: Just a short note on tranliteration without going off-topic! The izaafat 'e' we mostly write as -e- (same for the 3aTf 'o' as -o-) and many of us mostly use 'e' within words to mean both chhoTii and baRii ye, the latter coming at the end of words, as in mere xudaa (= my Lord / my God). Here the vowel length is the same for both 'ye's unlike in merii, where the 'ii' represents the chhoTii ye at the end. On the net most people use 'ee' to mean the 'ii' sound that many of us have been using.

18. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks for noticing and replying to my question souminwé! Informative!