1. chutz Junior Member

Philippines Tagalog
    In the english grammar, when we use "did" a verb in the present form must follow. Ex. Did you do your homework? Is the rule the same in Spanish. Please give some examples. Thanks!
  2. LauraPV Senior Member

I'm afraid we don't have that grammar rule in spanish, we don't use auxiliar verbs as you do, we do change verbs according to the tense we want to express.

I work in Bilbao= Trabajo en Bilbao
    I worked in Bilbao= Trabajaba en Bilbao
    Do you work in Bilbao?= ¿Trabajas en Bilbao?
    Did you work in Bilbao?= ¿Trabajanbas en Bilbao?
    I used to work in Bilbao= Solía trabajar en Bilbao
    I didn't work in Bilbao= No trabajaba en Bilbao.

I hope it helps you. Bye
  3. LauraPV Senior Member

Sorry, I made a mistake : trabajabas, not trabajanbas.
  4. nic456 Senior Member

What you refer to is the usage of do as an auxiliary verb for asking questions.

Do you smoke? Fumas?

Did is past tense of to do and used if it occurred in the past without any link to the present. There are often time markers such as a specific date or period/point of time:
    yesterday, in 2004, last week

In Spanish you would use indefinido, but imperfecto for customary actions or when describing circumstances/conditions. :warn:

Did you smoke yesterday? Fumaste ayer?
    Did you do your homework last night? Hiciste los deberes anoche?

A habit:

Didn't you use to go to the cinema every week?
    No solías ir al cine cada semana?

As you can see, there is no need to use do as an auxiliary verb in Spanish when asking questions that refer to the past. :)

:arrow: There may also be more complete answers and threads to this. Have a go under search, advanced options and make sure to select the correct forum!
  5. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Hi Chutz,

One of the reasons English uses "do" and other auxiliary verbs is because we do not have specific verbal conjugations as they do in Spanish and other Romance languages.

In fact, we only have two verb forms in the present tense:

Singluar and Plural: I work, You work, We work, They Work
    3rd Person Singular: He/She/It works

As such, an auxiliary verb is necessary to help form the sentence into a question.

In Spanish, for example, this is not necessary because of the way its regular verbs can be conjugated:

trabajo (I work)
    trabajas (you work - sing.)
    trabaja (he/she/it works)
    trabajamos (we work)
    trabajan (you (pl.) / they work)

These forms can be used in both in questions and declarative sentences.

Trabajas en el supermarcado? - "Do you work in the supermarket?"
    Si. Trabajo en el supermarcado. - "Yes. I work in the supermarket."

Each verb tense (past, imperfect, etc.) has its own verb endings for conjugation. You can find out more about that here.

I would agree that you might wish to look in other threads for more examples.

Good luck!