1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Use of semicolon

Discussion in 'English Only' started by southerngal, Aug 7, 2006.

1. southerngal Senior Member

American English
    In American English, a semicolon is used to connect two complete though closely related sentences, such as: I don't know when I'll finish; I'm sure it won't take long.

A colon is used before an extended quotation, explanation, example, series, etc. and after the salutati of a formal letter. (This definition was found in my dictionary at home)

Yet, someone from Australia wrote in another thread:

An economy with words results in; A man downstairs wants to see you. .,, You are retrospectively welcome.

Does British English use semicolons and colons differently than American English?

2. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    AE and BE seem to agree in principle. There may be variations in how much punctuation people like to use - either from personal choice or depending on the house style they write for.

You'll find one clear exposition of BE use HERE.

3. southerngal Senior Member

American English
    Thanks panjandrum; it seems that mixing up colons and semicolons is a worldwide problem! ;)

4. Pirlo

Pirlo Senior Member

Australia
    English
    Semi-colons are used to link two independant sentances. (Atleast how I have learnt it.)

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I suggest that independent is a bit too strong. If the sentences are in fact independent, they should be two separate sentences.
    Here is a quote from the link above:

6. A90Six Senior Member

London
    England - English.
    colon

I found this piece interesting:

But first please note the following: the colon is never preceded by a white space; it is always followed by a single white space in normal use, and it is never, never, never followed by a hyphen or a dash... :)